~*~ SMF April 2017 Challenge - Stripes! ~*~
~ April 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > ​Does anyone else do this...?​
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
shunt2011
Moderator
SOAP_MODERATOR.png
 
shunt2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,360
Liked 4198 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 3384

Default

I'm another one who always measures in grams. Most accurate measure for me.


__________________
www.sharishandcraftedsoap.com
Official Member of the Hoity-Toity Snickerdoodle League.
shunt2011 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #12
mx6inpenn
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 436
Liked 445 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

I also always measure in grams. I round those to the nearest whole number for all but lye, which I always round down.


__________________
Soap and water and common sense are the best disinfectants. - William Osler
mx6inpenn is offline  
Teapot Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
Scooter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NC
Posts: 603
Liked 201 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Stick to what the lye calculator tells you. If you are not happy with the water amount, change the lye concentration on the calculator. Rounding numbers here and there can cause bad habits.
I tend to finagle my recipe on soapcalc to where my oils are all integers in ounces and then I use grams for the lye. I have been known to finagle my recipe to where everything is in integers... and that usually means I have a weird looking SF like 2.34512% or something.
__________________
Scooter von Tooter from Tooterville NC
Scooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 PM   #14
toxikon
 
toxikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 392
Liked 456 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I tend to finagle my recipe on soapcalc to where my oils are all integers in ounces and then I use grams for the lye. I have been known to finagle my recipe to where everything is in integers... and that usually means I have a weird looking SF like 2.34512% or something.
It would be cool if lye calculators had an option you could choose to round numbers at the cost of small changes to SF or oil amount! I'd definitely make use of that.
toxikon is offline  
Scooter Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
kchaystack
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
kchaystack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Monroe, LA
Posts: 1,697
Liked 1723 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
It would be cool if lye calculators had an option you could choose to round numbers at the cost of small changes to SF or oil amount! I'd definitely make use of that.
Rounding like that is fine if you are using grams, but if you are using ounces and your batch size is just a pound or two, that can be a big change.
kchaystack is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #16
toxikon
 
toxikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 392
Liked 456 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaystack View Post
Rounding like that is fine if you are using grams, but if you are using ounces and your batch size is just a pound or two, that can be a big change.
Oh definitely! Grams would be the much better unit.


toxikon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Newest Threads