20% off Fragrancebuddy sale

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had hit or miss with them, I think my favorite so far has been the honeysuckle jasmine. I wear that perfume from Jo Malone, it's pretty spot on.

I haven't had a chance to update the rest of the FOs I tested. I ended up with a sinus infection after the flu so I haven't trusted my nose enough to write reviews. I'll try to make a list of the FOs that made it through cure and are still recognizable by tomorrow morning. They won't be full reviews but they'll give you a list of scents that made it through cure and are still recognizable. I'll also make a list of the ones I bought in big bottles.

I found that in cp FOs from Fragrance Buddy are hit or miss just like every other provider. I like about 5 to 10 percent of what I buy regardless of source. Going forward, I expect I'll be using mostly blends. Overall, FB FOs are heavier on the top notes than most other suppliers. I think they would work great for B&B and candle makers.

The Honeysuckle Jasmine didn't make it through the long cure. What is left in my tester is a light unrecognizable floral scent (at ~9 months). I think it will work well as a blender because it lacks some of the horrid notes that are present in so many florals. I haven't had much luck with floral FOs.

If longevity is important to you, I can give you an update on any of the testers I made. Just make a list.

I looked at my testers. From the last batch I poured, the following FOs are the ones I'll probably buy in larger bottles after I use up some of what I have:
-Celtic Mist: complex woodsy scent, discolors dark yellow with very heavy ash.
-Furze: reminds me of desserts I had in Japanese/ Middle Eastern restaurants, hints of rice, coconut and neroli. It discolored very dark brown. I'll only make few bars of this one for me.
-Uluru: light sandalwood/orange scent. I would use it for blending only because it is too light on its own but I think it can be mixed successfully with citrusy FOs.
-Avobath: this is a good dupe. It will be my go-to "lemongrass" FO.
-Sweet Temptations: this one is ok on its own but could be used to blend with many different types of FOs. It is a fruity and floral mix. No discoloration.
-Dead sexy: This one is similar to Flowerbomb from TCS. I would use it in blends similar to Flowerbomb.
-Princess Orchid: Nice floral in the Orange Blossom/Neroli family. No discoloration.
-Salty Mariner: Lovely complex herbal oceany scent. I like it enough not to try any other salty mariner. No discoloration.
-Teakwood Forest: Of all the woodsy scents from FB, this is my favorite. It is well blended with no off notes.
-Celebrate: This is a nice citrusy blend. Nice citrusy FOs without harsh notes and with decent longevity have been difficult to find. I would use it alone and in blends.
-Patchouli Value: This is a light patchouli that I would use to blend because of minimal discoloration.
-Celestial Sea: It took a long time for this scent to decide what it wants to be. I ended up with a complex soft coniferous fragrance with added complexity.
-Sage: This is an older one. I like it a lot alone even though it isn't pure sage. I also like it mixed with lavender to recreate the Lavender Sage FO. FB's LS is not good in cp. It acquires harsh notes as it cures. Mixing Sage with a favorite Lavender works much better.
Flowerbomb: This one is also old. I would use it in blends unless I find one of the other Flowerbomb types works better.

I've bought big bottles of:
Earthen Oak (overpowering at 5%), Karma (mixed with a little citrus/Geranium, or in blends), Patchouli Passion, Sweet Orange Chili Pepper, Orange Blossom, Champagne and Snow Showers (neroli family), Black Raspberry Vanilla (the best of the BRVs I tried), Amber Blush (on its own or to use in blends), White Tea & Ginger, Lily of the Valley, Beach, Crisp Morning Air (sweet mint tea), Leaves (perfect fall scent), Flying Fox, and Jungle for old times sake. I may be forgetting 1 or 2.

My list is heavy on the Neroli family because several friends requested it.

Out of the ~300 I've tested (full list in the in the FB thread), these are the ones I ended up with. I came close to liking about 10% of what I tested. My nose seems to favor the Moonworks collection.

Back