Soap Base or Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soap Base

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• sometimes

• no

• Total voters

I love soap!

Reaction score
Um anyone else use soap base( already has fat, lye and added and processed) or do all of you use lye process? I find it much easier this way lol.

I make my soap from scratch also. I like to know what oils are in there, I like to know what I am working with.
I did buy some MP, that's what you mean right? I bought some for my teenage daughter so she could join me in my soaping foibles. She had fun with it. She made apple scented green frogs. There were cute.
But it's CP for me.

From scratch here, too. There's just something so cool to me about the whole process of formulating and making my own soap from scratch, and then testing the fruits of my labor out. I find it so fascinating (and quite addicting too!). :)

IrishLass

I'm new to the whole soap thing but CP (from scratch) for me too! I love to bake also. I know nothing about sciencey type of stuff but I'm still fascinated about the chemical reactions... like mixing fats and something harsh to make a lovely bar of soap. Or combining eggs and flour and yeast and watching it triple in size. :D

I had one MP experience and really don't think I will do it ever again. It smelled horrible, it feels gross, I don't even like the look of it! eeeew! I guess I'm a CP snob :mrgreen:

Ah

I see. the place where i buy list there ingredients so their customers aren't buying any old thing. I just don't have time to do the lye process, love to do it some day. :)

I make mine from scratch as well, but I keep saying I'm going to try some melt and pour base one of these days.

I DO make a plain soap base of my own, which I hand mill and add fragrance and ingredients to......an uncolored, unscented, HP milk soap. :)

Yeah

But i have bulk couple hundred pounds, can handmill it to. lot just like lye but no adding lye :)

I'm not satisfied with the look of what I call "reworked" soap. I look for a very smooth result and get that by doing CP.

Plus I need the flexibility of formulating my own.

and MP simply isn't for me

I have thought about getting some of the base that you grate and mill, or whatever it's called... just haven't gotten that far yet.

I make all of my soap from scratch. I have used M&P chunks in my CP in the past (just for fun), but I don't make M&P regularly. I have much more fun with CP!

Re: Anyhow

I love soap! said:
But no matter the way we all end up with the same thing ... SOAP :)

i guess... some is just better than others! :wink: just kidding!
I do definitely love the look of some MP soap, you can do so much with it.

I started with M&P, moved on to CPHP & now my lastest & greatest addiction is CP. I just hate waiting. I was about to type that I refuse to buy soap anymore, base or otherwise, & then I remembered I bought a bar on Sunday from the Soap Shack. It's a new fragrance for her shop~ Cherry Pomegranate. Love the smell, but not the soap, so it makes a great air freshner in my Jeep. OMG I'm turning into a soap snob :shock:

Latest posts

Back