Bath Bomb Drying Time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1221

Reaction score
We've been making bath bombs for several months now and have all of a sudden run into a drying issue. We used to give them 24 hours to dry, and sometimes we're anywheres from 48-72 hours. We had no issue before and the only thing we have changed is adding an extra 1/2 tsp of fragrance oil. We're using 1 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp polysorbate, 1 tsp of fragrance for a 3 cup mix (dry). The humidity in the house is within normal range (and drier now that we're going into a colder season). It's probably a strange coincidence but we find that the bombs that we used lake colors in seem to take more time to dry. Should we cut back on the oil? (Also, we're unsure if maybe we're not using enough fragrance...what is considered "normal"?)

Any help would be appreciated. We have two craft shows coming up and this is really putting us behind!

Thank you :)

There are so many factors that can play into making bath bombs. I know my additive amounts (I use cocoa butter) vary from day to day. You may just need to adjust that. I measure in grams for consistency. As to how much FO it takes, that too will vary but I usually use 1-2%. Are you adding any water/witch hazel or alcohol? That too will affect your drying time if too much is added.

Also, if you scan down to the bottom of this post you will see other threads with the same topic which might help as well.

I would say if they were fine before adding the extra 1/2 tsp of FO, then that must be the culprit. If you need more FO and they are now too wet, consider cutting back a little on your other liquids.

Back