liquid soap from bar soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauratryingsoap

Reaction score
Hello! I have been wanting to make liquid soap for quite a bit of time but the suppliers in NZ either sell in massive amounts (like a couple of kgs) or need pick up. So heres a question. Can liquid soap be made from bar cp soap? I saw this article https://www.thebalance.com/liquid-hand-soap-recipe-1388706 where they make liquid soap from bar soap. Do you think it'll be fine to make liquid soap like this? Although its not 'authentic' liquid soap I really want some liquid soap I made from scratch!

Maybe try 50:50 means 50 sodium hydroxide and 50 potassium hydroxide might be don't turn into snotty texture.

Yes I did last time but this 50:50 does turn Vaseline if I didn't cook still white for more than 8 hours. So I decided to cook it but I don't neutralise because I superfat to 0.

Maybe try 50:50 means 50 sodium hydroxide and 50 potassium hydroxide might be don't turn into snotty texture.

We've had this conversation as well. The collective conclusion is this -- adding NaOH to a liquid soap recipe doesn't offer any real benefit even though "common sense" might suggest otherwise. Susie may chime in here with her perspective, since she's done more than I have to test this theory.

Liquid soap recipes seem work best when made with 100% KOH and a careful blend of fats so the soap is moderately high in oleic acid. Irish Lass' olive-coconut-castor recipe is a very good example of what I am talking about. This guideline of moderately high oleic acid content is critical if you want to control the thickness by dilution only.

If you want to use a separate thickener (xanthan gum, HEC, HPMC, etc.) that does not depend on dilution to work, then the oleic content of the soap isn't so critical.

I am just a newbie but I like to experiment. This is the result of my experiment of 50% sodium hydroxide and 50% potassium hydroxide. I notice that it has a very stable lather than just koh. I will give this my friend.

I use my old recipe of
800 g coconut oil
200 g OO
139 g koh
91 g NAoh
689 g water

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1501112356.013001.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1501112367.469936.jpg this lather it's been around 10 minutes and still ok.

Hai..
I'm new in soapmaking..

So recently I made a bar soap, but my little sister insist of making it as liquid soap..

So yes, I tried to grate it, cook it with water, let it sit for a day, but it still very thin.. I mean nowhere near thickness that I aimed..

And also I've already added one teaspoon of glycerin..

May you please give me some advice?

I wanted to try to add more bar soap (grating it more into my "very thin" liquid soal..
Is it a good or a bad idea?

I never made liquid soap, I am sure others will help, But I think liquid soap is made with a different ( NOH) chemical than solid soap (NAOH)

If I spelled it right.

Hai..
I'm new in soapmaking..

So recently I made a bar soap, but my little sister insist of making it as liquid soap..

I wanted to try to add more bar soap (grating it more into my "very thin" liquid soal..
Is it a good or a bad idea?

I think if you go back to page one of this thread and read all the way through, you will have your answer.

Jap451959

Liquid soap is pretty much all I do.. www.noodclean.net ..I am not trying to sell anything but if want to see the kind of Liquid soaps I make and sell..You can make Liquid soap from bar soap. But much easier to make the soap with the intention of making it liquid. I make all my soaps from scratch...I assume it's Laundry your trying to make....you will need a 6oz. bar of soap..large stainless steel spoon...a large pot..a 5 gal pale....a cup of Borax...a cup of Soda Ash...a drill with a paddle mixer attachment..shave the bar of soap into the pot and fill it with about gallon of water bring it to a boil and keep it boiling for until the soap completely melted and boil for another minute or two. take pot off stove and pour it into the 5 gal pale. Pour the borax and Soda ash one at a time into 5 gal pale and stir with spoon until completely dissolved. fill the 5 gal. pale with hot but not boiling water...make sure the pale is some where you do not mind if some spills...use your drill with attachment to stir the mixture for about 10 to 15 min...now you have 5 gal. of Laundry soap and you use it as you please. one load should be about 4 oz.

You can use the above recipe and directions if you want but if you do, I strongly suggest you take the time to make liquid soap from scratch using KOH instead of NaOH. I promise you there is a world of difference, especially where laundry is concerned. Truthfully, I tried the above method and I also tried 100% coconut oil liquid soap for washing. The latter worked so much better.

Jap451959

Yes...when I make my soap...Coconut oil is what use and if you make your own soap SODIUM HYDROXIDE or NaOH is a good choice. Potash,potassium hydroxide or KOH is way also youcan make a version of Castile soap but instead of your historical Olive oil I use Coconut oil. you can make Laundry detergent this way also.

Latest posts

Back