Riceland Rice Bran Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is awesome. Do you know how good it is for frying? I bought some rice too so saved like $52 in shipping. I have been eyeing the oil for awhile but the shipping was almost the cost of the oil so I was mega happy with the free shipping.

Hubby & I are now using RBO (90%) and Sesame Oil (10%) in all of our cooking and salad oil making recipes instead of olive oil. I never did care much for olive oil and this tastes so much better! It's light and tasty. It's also said to be good for cardiovascular health and for lowering blood pressure.

ETA: Almost forgot, I like it so much I slather it on toast and baked potatoes -- guilt free! :shifty:
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks lsg. I have never used Rice bran oil so I am really curious about it. Because I will have to import it to Nigeria, I needed a dual purpose oil(Eating and Soaping)with great price to justify the price.

Yea Zany. Didn't like Olive oil for eating too. For soaping, I am sorry but I love Canola more. The Soap is sleek and the lather is silky too.

Anshika. Here you go. http://www.ricelandstore.com. Free shipping ends on the 18th of June.

I've never used rice bran oil before, but at those prices I figured; "Why not?". Even with shipping, a gallon only cost $12.60. Even if I decide I don't like it for soaping I can use it in cooking. :)

My Riceland order arrived yesterday. I live in the midwest USA, so for those of you who live elsewhere, it will take longer.

Thank you for posting this. I've never used rice bran oil, so I thought I'd give it a try. Hubby will use some of it for frying fish.

Here is my question - Riceland has rice bran oil, and also fish fry oil. They list both as 100% rice bran oil, so does anyone know what the difference might be? The fish fry oil shows a smoke point of 490. I googled regular rice bran oil and the smoke point is 450. So any guesses as to what the difference might be - as far as using for a soaping oil? There is only one rice bran oil listed on Soap Calc, so I'm guessing for soap purposes it would all be the same?

I understand the regular is fine for soap. The Fish Fry oil they have seems to have a higher smoke point which would be better for fish. I am wondering if there is any reason it would be different than regular rice bran oil for soaping use. I'm guessing probably not, and might just go ahead and try it.

Even if I decide I don't like it for soaping I can use it in cooking. :)
Try RBO & OO 50/50 -- fairly common in soap formulas. Soapers Choice even sells a 50/50 blend. Here's my fave from a soaping buddy:

OAK TREE'S HIGH LATHER DOVE DUPE

8% SF

20% tallow
19% lard
18% rice bran oil
17% olive or high oleic sunflower
11% palm kernel oil
9% coconut
6% castor

Thank you for posting this. I've never used rice bran oil, so I thought I'd give it a try. Hubby will use some of it for frying fish.

Here is my question - Riceland has rice bran oil, and also fish fry oil. They list both as 100% rice bran oil, so does anyone know what the difference might be? The fish fry oil shows a smoke point of 490. I googled regular rice bran oil and the smoke point is 450. So any guesses as to what the difference might be - as far as using for a soaping oil? There is only one rice bran oil listed on Soap Calc, so I'm guessing for soap purposes it would all be the same?

I wondered about what is added to the oil, or what process is done to change the smoke point, and if that might alter the SAP value. But it doesn't really matter, because I don't see any reason to pay more for the altered RBO when all I plan to use it for is making soap. If I decide to try it with cooking, I wouldn't be doing any deep frying anyway, so don't really care about a high smoke point.

Last edited:
I understand the regular is fine for soap. The Fish Fry oil they have seems to have a higher smoke point which would be better for fish. I am wondering if there is any reason it would be different than regular rice bran oil for soaping use. I'm guessing probably not, and might just go ahead and try it.

Hello dibbles. I haven't tried Rice bran oil before so I really can't help based on personal experience but during my research I found this review on Amazon. The lady tried it in soap and it came out okay. I know that is not data but maybe it will help. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSC2LFK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back