Melt and Pour soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
What is the difference between melt and pour soap and CP soap making??

I am thinking it is the "block" of wax or soap you need and the "oils" are mostly chemicals??

Forgive my ignorance in advance.

Kathie

Hey Kathie,

Melt & Pour soap is soap that has been pre-made going through many of the steps that are used in Hot Process (same as Cold Process but cooking the soap through saponification) but then they add additional ingredients which allows it to be melted and literally poured after adding any goodies you are looking to add.

Cold Process & Hot Process require that you make the soap from scratch using lye (lye was used to make the M&P soap as well). Melt & Pour and Cold Process are very different because the skillsets are different. Both techniques have different artistic expression and neither is superior from the other.

I hope that helps.

Someone asked me about M & P and she thought they were made from a block of oil and it was mostly chemically added ingredients. I told her I would find the answer for her. It sounded like she did not like a melt and pour at all.

I don't do melt and pour often, but I know several people who love the Shea Butter melt and pour from Brambleberry. These are the ingredients:

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerin (kosher, of vegetable origin), Shea Butter (refined naturally crushed), Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide (saponifying agent), Sorbitol (moisturizer), Sorbitan oleate (emulsifier), Oat Protein (conditioner), Titanium Dioxide (mineral whitener used in opaque soaps)

I consider this a quality melt and pour base. I know there's a lot out there that isn't. I was appalled when I read the ingredients in the base sold at the craft store.

I wish I could find the recipes for my own melt & pour bases without propylene glycol and the other junk I see added in the recipes I find. I did find one recipe for clear... Hope to try that soon... :-(

Back