90% Coconut Oil, 10% Castor Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
I wanted to tell everyone about a soap that I made with 90% CO, 10% castor w/ 18% superfat.
The bubbles are soooooooo thick and abundant, and I don't find it too drying, but I could practically see the bar diminishing in size as I am using it. It cured for about 5 weeks. Considering how hard CO is, I find this rather interesting. I like this soap, but next time, I'll have to think of a way to make it a bit more conditioning.

Yep- those high coconut soaps with a high superfat are awesome, but you are right- they do melt away faster. That's because coconut oil has very low amounts of stearic and palmitic acid in it- two of the fatty acids that contribute greatly to longevity in bar soap. I've taken to adjusting my formula to add 30% of either cocoa butter or mango butter to help slow the fast melting down.

I'll have to think of a way to make it a bit more conditioning.

Have you tried bumping the superfat up to 20%?

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
That's because coconut oil has very low amounts of stearic and palmitic acid in it- two of the fatty acids that contribute greatly to longevity in bar soap. I've taken to adjusting my formula to add 30% of either cocoa butter or mango butter to help slow the fast melting down.

I'll have to think of a way to make it a bit more conditioning.

Have you tried bumping the superfat up to 20%?

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, you rock! Thank you for the awesome tip. I'll try to add some butter next time with 20% SF. Hopefully, that will turn out better. :D

Back