"Real" Phone

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
The childhood thread made me think of sharing this find with you.

It's a telephone that mounts on the wall, just like the old ones - just like you remember. Heavy, steel bell ringer, the works.

We keep a "house phone" for the same reasons many of you mentioned (though ours is now VoIP with Ooma) and at least one of them needs to be actually corded to the wall so it doesn't get "misplaced." The problem is that most corded phones are REALLY cheap now and I got very tired of them failing after a few months and their crappy sound and feel while they worked.

I did a lot of research and found the phone linked above. The one I linked with the 20M in its model number is still made at the same factory (in Alabama, IIRC) that used to be AT&T before the split, then Bell South, etc. until it became Cortelco. The same company also imports phones with ITT in their model name, so be careful if that matters to you. My experience is with the US-made one.

Anyway, we've had this phone almost 3 years now and I love it - paired with a 25 ft handset cord, of course. Just what I was looking for. I bought one for my mother and my aunt, as well, and all are doing great.

Sharing because I thought some of you might be interested as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one that was in my parents basement forever! I think they only replaced it because my dad got a cordless with 2-3 receivers

It is almost exactly like the ones from back then, when you had to buy them from AT&T directly and they were like $50 - when $50 bucks was A LOT. The only tiny change I can see is an improvement. Instead of the old sliding connection that plugged into the wall plate, now there is a short pigtail. But it still attaches to the wall plate with the metal studs.

When the Amazon box came, my daughter (12 at the time) picked it up and said "Whoa, this is heavy." There is real steel in this thing. Remember how on old movies you could occasionally see someone beat another person with a phone? Either the pyramidal desk phone (you know the one) or just the handset. This is the kind of phone that you could beat somebody up with and still keep talking when you were done. LOL.

And just so it's crystal clear; I have no affiliation with that company at all. I'm just so pleased about buying something made the way it should be for once, that I can't stop talking about it. BTW, Cortelco sells the pyramidal desk phones, too. :D Same model number rules apply.

We have a brown (yes, brown) dial phone on the wall, it's the same one that was originally installed after we could afford to get one. The house we bought didn't have any phone connections, so we had to get the line put in. Ours was put in, in the 80's.

Works great and I pick up the handset on that, rather than the cordless handset that is connected to it as I hear better on the old one.

Back