Shrink Wrapping Complex Shapes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crizzle

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to soap making and have come across a big problem when shrink wrapping my soaps which are of a complex shape. Say for example I have a soap which is shaped like a giraffe or other animal with two sets of legs, I need to have the plastic shaped to the object as when I heat up the plastic it pulls together and snaps / deforms the legs. I tried bagging the soap then using a hot soldering iron to go round the shape but it just made a mess. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

You can try cutting a firm flat material -- cardboard or something like that -- slightly larger than the object you want to wrap. Put the object on top of this flat "backer" and shrink wrap the entire assembly. You might have to experiment a little to find the right shape for the backer that will keep the pressure off the fragile areas of your object. If that is not acceptable option, then you may need to look at a different packaging method for this type of product. You are asking a lot of shrink wrap if you want some areas to be shrunk down tight and others to be shrunk down less.

I do like DeeAnna, with cardboard shape I cover the object and shrink it on sides then back so front is always the smoothest

Excellent, tanks for the info. Is it possible to get grease proof card in the UK?

As I am in the US and Dahlia is in Canada, I hope someone else chimes in with an answer to your last question. You might be better off to check local businesses -- have you asked at your local bakery or craft store?

edit: But I find myself wondering why you need grease proof cardboard? For use with soap, you should be fine with a nice quality plain cardboard I would think. I normally use plain heavyweight paper for my labels that I put directly on my soap bars -- no problem there.

Back