Old Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenwingranch

Reaction score
Hello! I'm an absolute newbie to the soaping world. My sister in law was involved for many years and had a great handle on the craft. Sadly, she passed about 9 years ago. I come to this group in hopes for some guidance. I found a box of soap bars that my SIL made, they're a little bit dusty, oily and I'm not fond of the scent. It's not even a scent I can easily name... Is there anything to be done with the bars? She used a lye process, but I don't know anything more about how they were made. Any suggestions?

Try rinsing one off and washing your hands with it and see how it is. It might be wonderful. I recently found some soap that I made about four years ago that I had forgotten about. I used some and it is so nice! The lather is out of this world!

As long as the bars don't have orange (or darker, depending on the color of the soap) spots or discoloration, aren't all squishy greasy or drippy and don't have a funky, rancid oil smell then they can certainly be used. They might be absolutely wonderful soap if you don't dislike the scent too intensely. Or pass them on to others, maybe family members who might appreciate the reminder (if it wouldn't just upset them) or friends.

Back