want to learn candle making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umeali

Reaction score
Hello members ,
I am new in this section of the forum ,I want to learn candle making so plz can someone guide me from where should I start ?I want to make candles which are good for ailments like muscle relaxant or mental calmness ,can we make these types of candles ?

Hello members ,
I am new in this section of the forum ,I want to learn candle making so plz can someone guide me from where should I start ?I want to make candles which are good for ailments like muscle relaxant or mental calmness ,can we make these types of candles ?

lsg has good suggestions, watch tutorials by candlemaking suppliers, find one that offers kits, to help get you started.

Also, as in soapmaking, even in candlemaking, you cannot make medical claims, such as "muscle relaxant" or "mental calmness" without having them tested and FDA approved.

I have been making candles now for 20+ years, and I have yet to have success with using EO's in my candles. (however, I know other candlemakers who have)

If I recall, Umeali is not in the US or Europe and her country doesn't have those sorts of regulations.

Candles - The place where I get my supplies has instructions. I have learned that it is very important to match the wick to the wax and to the size of the container, and pour at the correct temperature, otherwise the flame will drown in wax. In my case, I heat the wax to 180 and add my scent, then let it cool to 135 (F) and pour. But that is just for the wax, wick and container size I am using.

As for making muscle relaxant and mental calming candles, you would need to look up information on using essential oils in candles.

If I recall, Umeali is not in the US or Europe and her country doesn't have those sorts of regulations.

Candles - The place where I get my supplies has instructions. I have learned that it is very important to match the wick to the wax and to the size of the container, and pour at the correct temperature, otherwise the flame will drown in wax. In my case, I heat the wax to 180 and add my scent, then let it cool to 135 (F) and pour. But that is just for the wax, wick and container size I am using.

As for making muscle relaxant and mental calming candles, you would need to look up information on using essential oils in candles.

Ah, okay. I always forget (dummy ME) that this is such an international board. My bad...

Wick size for your container/mold/size of candle, and type of wax is important as you said.
However, pour temp is more important in soy waxes than it is in paraffin (I use paraffin, can't stand working with soy - it's too persnickity)

With paraffin, pour and mixing temps are not as precisely needed. In fact after my first 3 months of chandling, I stopped taking temps of my wax. I set my presto to between 185 & 195 and once the wax is melted, pour it in my pour pot, mix my scent and color and move on to pouring.

Latest posts

Back