Soft Melt and Pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olive3

Reaction score
I know this sounds odd but I actually want to know how to make a melt and pour base softer. I want to pour directly into containers and use as a leather cleaner. Any help would be appreciated.

what would happen if you just added, say 25% by weight of glycerin and maybe a bit of leather friendly oil like olive or linseed?
It wouldn't stay liquid, but it might be more goopy - just keep upping the glycerin until its right. Just a SWAG :)

When I was young I paid my stable fees by cleaning tack, and back in those days we just had bars of saddle soap.

I've added glycerin to mp bases that have gotten old, and it does make them more liquid but slimier, you have to be really careful about adding in tiny increments if you want to avoid that. Might be OK for your intended use although have never heard of using as a leather cleaner. Let us know how it works out!

I'll have to check out jelly soap. Sounds interesting. I did try adding a little olive oil but it just pooled on the top. I don't want really soft soap, just not "rock hard" the way M&P usually turns out. Might try adding a little extra glycerin.

Thanks for your input!

Back