Soap mold idea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaMarie

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapers :)
Maybe some of you have done this already....
I was recently down in Napa Valley and was in a gift store when I saw this 3 bottle wine box. It was $18 and my mind was thinking I needed a new soap mold since my other one had broken. The great thing is that the measurements were perfect in the individual cavities for loafs of soap, and I could do several batches. The box also has a slide in lid- so perfect!
Anyway, just an idea for an inexpensive soap mold:)

Best,
Anna Marie
Sorry pic is upside down:)

image.jpg

I have found single cavity wine boxes in thrift stores, but I really liked this and that I can be more productive in a day :)

I love that mould, great idea. Definitely feeling jealous right now!

AnnaMarie - very cool find; one word of caution though. That box was made for a lighter weight than soap. It looks like it is held together with dowel pins. If it were me, I would use a flat baking sheet to support it for moving, and possibly add some stainless steel corner brackets on the outside to keep the box square.

To answer questions...
I have already made several loafs yielding a bar size of 2.5 x 3.5 which matches up to my old soap mold. It probably holds about 4 lbs in a single cavity based on what I'm making. It really was too perfect. Wasn't expecting to find a soap mold at a wine tasting (the wine there was excellent as well and we came home with 3 bottles of Rose Wine :) )
On the construction of the box: 3/8 in wood (probably ply) that is held together with nails and staples. It is a fairly sturdy box as far as boxes go, but I imagine that it would need to be to hold 3 full bottles of wine:). That being said, caution with regards to its weight is still a good idea, Cindy :)
I have to imagine these can be fairly easily found. I'm really enjoying mine :)
Best,
Anna Marie
Here is a picture of Peach Blossom Soap I made in it yesterday

image.jpg

The other thing I forgot to mention that kind of made this even better is that the cavity dividers are removable allowing it to be used as a slab mold. :) :)
Yes, with the farmers' market season coming up this will be super handy!

I have a bunch of wine crates that I've hoarded while thrifting.At first it was to store my crafting supplies but then I realized they would make awesome soap molds. I haven't gotten around to using them for soap just yet. Kinda nervous to try my first loaf soap and swirling. I just picked up a couple more today for less than 5 bucks. I noticed that different wineries have slightly different crate sizes and not all have removable dividers.

Here are a couple of the cavity sizes I've found from CA wineries. I know the list makes me look like a hoarder which I kinda am...soaping has contributed to the problem. I really don't need this many loaf molds but I love finding things while thrifting. Lately, all I'm on the lookout for is soaping supplies and molds. I listed the sizes in both inches and cms to compare them to the silicone loaf molds found on eBay. The 1.2L loaf mold has these dimensions: 7 x 26 x 7.8 for reference.

V. Sattui Winery 3.5 x 13.25 x 3.25 /8.89 x 33.65 x 8.25
Windsor Vineyard 6.75 x 12.25 x 3.5 /17.14 x 31.11 x 8.89
Capital Cellars 3.75 x 13 x 3.6 / 9.52 x 33.02 x 9.14
Kirigin Cellars 3.25 x 13.5 x 3.25 / 34.29 x 8.25 x 8.25
Hafner Cellars 3.25 x 12.45 x 4 / 31.5 x 8.89 x 6.35

Last edited:
Back