bb anne maries son escapes death/injury - not spam

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I saw this on the news last night and I didn't even recognize Ann Marie. Very scary stuff but a good reminder to anyone with a boiler, make sure the pressure release valve is in good working order.

Wowza.

I assume this is what we in the states call a "hot water heater" ....?

I'd also like to know if it was the water heater that ruptured ... they do so rather violently ... or if there was a natural gas explosion (as eluded to in the report).

I'm glad to hear nobody was injured. A scary experience to be sure.

-Dave

No a hot water heater is different. A boiler is an older way to heat a home, it is more like a big steamer. It creates the steam ( under pressure) and then is piped through the house to heating units called radiators. Boilers heat quicker and give a very consistent heat, although they can be dangerous.

I am certain that they have insurance and will have no problem with rebuilding their home, but even still I believe my next few orders will be with brambleberry.

Last edited:
I am amazed they even acquired insurance with a boiler for heating. I have a home with a floor floor furnace and have hard time getting insurance. Very scary. They are so fortunate nothing happend to the Kids

Last edited:
I think it depends on where you live. Boilers are very common in New England in older homes. They are slightly more dangerous than a furnace because they are under pressure but they don't produce carbon monoxide.

You are suppose to have them checked and serviced each year, just like with a furnace. Which should be a reminder to use all. Have you had your furnace serviced?

Boilers are also more common in muli-unit buildings, like condos. They are much more efficient for heating those kinds of spaces. And far more economical. And really, this is no more a danger than a gas leak or an electrical short starting a fire. There is no way to reduce the risk of an accident to 0%. It is just the way life is. So you do what you can to reduce as much as possible, and then deal with the rest of the risk.

I am happy her and her family are OK. She seems like a nice person, and I try not to wish ill on anyone.

OK, so this was either a oil- or gas-fired hot water system.

I was curious because the report came from the UK and I wasn't sure if in the UK "hot water heater = boiler."

-Dave

In the UK, one of the most common forms of heating is a gas fired 'boiler' and radiators. They are in the majority of homes and not unsafe at all. Insurance companies will happily insure homes with them.

Scary stuff! My question is, if the explosion happened because of a build up of gas {the article states if anyone had cooked anything, the whole house would have blown up} how come nobody smelled any gas?

As far as we know, it could have been caused by a build up of pressure and the explosion damaged a gas line. That was my immediate assumption when I saw that in the article.

Back