GoodWill Finds -- show me yours!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2Soap

Reaction score
I headed over to GoodWill during lunch to see if I could pickup anything to support my new soap making addiction :) Sure enough...found these two cute molds!

IMG_0174_zpsvlszdkgy.jpg

This one I think I'll use for embeds.
Each space is about 5” long and ½” wide.

IMG_0175_zpsfskhqqem.jpg

Here’s the other one. There are mittens and snowmen. I thought this would be super-cute soaps because the openings are all about 2” x 3” (cupcake size).
What super finds have you gotten from GoodWill, garage sales or the dollar stores? I’d love to see them!

No photos, but I once got 8 ounces of jojoba oil and 8 oz of macadamia oil in Brambleberry bottles for $2 each at Salvation Army. Other finds are silicone ramekins, Salad Shooter (aka soap shooter), stick blenders and crockpot.

I'm still using the $5 crockpot I got from Goodwill when I decided to start soaping. I now use it mainly for test batches of shave soap or HP; I've got other vessels for most things. I have picked up a few odds and ends like spoons but nothing major.

My two soaping crockpots (a matching pair!) were each bought at a different Savers' location. Also from savers are my soaping stick blender, lye-water mixing jug, and my star- and bottle-shaped silicone molds (ice cube trays).

I discovered that giving soap to the nice ladies that work at the thrift store with my phone number, and promises of more soap did wonders to get me what I needed. I still paid $ for them, but at least I got a phone call to go get it when they got them.

I got an awesome silicone square cake pan with wire frame and lid. It will do a slab of soap 2-4 lbs, and the edges just need a bit of a trim to be straight up and down. Its my go-to mold for when I want a layered look, or 2 inch cubes, or just a big old slab of soap like laundry soap. I think it cost me all of $4 :D

A pair of gooseneck lamps for my lightbox for $6 each, a few backup stick blenders for a couple of bucks, and some cute molds.
And I grab every pretty basket I see! I spray paint them in 'my' colors and they make great gift baskets/ displays :)

I love my local salvation army stores. So far I've gotten a 7 quart crockpot, stick blender, tons of silicone molds--lots of Wilton embed molds (pumpkins, flowers, eggs) My favorite mold find was the Wilton mold with mini loafs in it. Great for testing out colors and fragrances. Gonna head to the one next door to where I'm donating plasma right now to see what new goodies I can find.

I got a crockpot at the Salvation Army for $5, and at Good Will I got a couple of smart ware silicone baking pans for a few dollars each. One is a bread pan size and the other is a large rectangle with it's own metal basket to hold the form. I think this would be good for a column swirl, etc.
Our local Salvation Army has a much better, and larger selection of everything in the cooking/serving department. Ever since Goodwill hired a new CEO, they've been setting up their stores like gift shops, raising the prices greatly and getting very little in the cooking/kitchen ware section. I don't even like going in there much anymore. I've seen prices higher on some of their used things, than you would pay for the same new item. I found out that Goodwill accepts everything, so as not to offend the giver; but then throws a lot of it out. So these days if I'm looking for something in particular, I check out the Salvation Army first, even though I have to travel further to get there.

Goodwill has been hit or miss for me (mostly miss), but the 99c store is a treasure trove. I bought this weird funky slatted spoon there the other day. Immediately thought "SOAP!" and in fact am unsure how else it would be used :). Just used it today to see what would happen, curious what the swirl will be like.

I recently discoverd the Japanese version of the $ store, called Daiso, they have a couple of branches in LA, not sure how many nationwide. Tons of great stuff there as well. A little more expensive, $1.50 per item instead of $1, but more interesting stuff.

I wonder if we have the same spoon, NA! I found one in the dollar store too and immediately picked it up for soaping. I think the one I have is a slight variation on a pasta spoon, for getting pasta out of the pot. Post pics of your swirls, please!

Newbie, so annoying, I can't post pictures yet. My cell phone (Samsung via Metro PCS) apparently has an effed up driver one it that I need to change heaven and earth to replace. Have a couple of cameras somewhere, have to figure out where they are now that I am wanting to post soaping pics.

This spoon was kind of curvy, slotted along the scoopy side and also had circles cut out below on the top part of the handle, don't know if that makes sense. The swirls in the soap I made were too undifferentiated - more "starry, starry night" than tigerish, if that conveys anything. I think that was my fault for pouring too thin, though, I think spoon swirls do better with a medium trace. Will try again and hopefully have a camera to post results by then.

I practically live at goodwill, consignment stores and estate sales! Most of the jewelry I make uses recycled components, so I'm always, always on the hunt. Even my brand conscious, mall loving 13 year old daughter is a convert. She finally figured out that the amount I'm willing to spend on her clothing doesn't change- and that she's gonna get a heck of a lot more for her money at a consignment shop than at the mall.

I haven't even started soap making yet, but I have been collecting all the equipment I need from charity shops (blender, stainless steel items, silicone molds, digital scales). I have also seen silicone molds in the pound shops.

We seem to have two types of charity shops here, one where everything is just thrown about with not much organisation, you have to hunt around, but prices are really cheap. The second are more like normal shops everything is set out colour coded and nicely displayed but they charge more than new for some things! Sadly the first type are getting harder to find.

I have seen lots of slow cookers (crock pots) but am resisting that purchase until I get used to CP first, however you can bet when I want one I won't be able to find one :lolno:

I have seen lots of slow cookers (crock pots) but am resisting that purchase until I get used to CP first, however you can bet when I want one I won't be able to find one :lolno:
I was at a soap meetup where we had all brought our crockpots, and the consensus was that the best for soaping was the old style smaller round one rather than the newer huge oval ones. Round is better than oval for more even heating from outside to the middle, and it makes the liquid level deeper to cover the head of the stick blender more easily without having to raise one side. The one we were all jealous of was perhaps 10 inches across and 10 inches deep? (I'm guessing). If you see one like that, buy it now!!

Latest posts

Back