False advertisement of prices - drives me nuts!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
IDK about the rest of you but I feel it should be illegal to advertise a price on a website (without some "*" or "note") that isn't the final price. I just signed up for a service that was $9.99 and after giving all billing andaddress info (full Credit card info) the next page shows that this price is for a very long contract and only payable all at once, plus all the monthly taxes, so it would come out to $27.50 per month if paid monthly when the advertised price was $9.99/ month the whole way through until the last page where I could select "lump sum" or monthly.

What a joke. I wish there was something I could do about it and think I might register a complaint to the BBB. Is there anything else that is available?

I don't know if it is the same over the pond, but here in Europe you can cancel any contract (at least consumer to business) within 14 days with no issues at all.

It is to stop pushy salesmen conning dear old folks out of their savings for products that they don't need. Gives you time to reflect and avoid buyers remorse.

Is there anything like that there?

I am setting up a website with WIX (if any of you have suggestions, lemme know) and it says blahblahblah a month, of course it is a all at once payment of give or take 250 dollars.

I feel your pain.

If they had NO indication that there were conditions like that anywhere on the site (before giving them your info), it sounds slimy enough that I would report them - as they convinced you there was only one type of billing, and got a valuable commodity (your contact info to sell to lists) in exchange.

I have heard that there is in the US regarding large purchase - most often I hear about it reference to time shares - but I have no idea if it applies to a smaller purchase.

You have 3 days in the US to change your mind on a contract. I know this because of the house closing I just went through.

Back