~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Bath and Body Forum > Un-Talcum Powder

Old 05-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6730 Times on 3412 Posts
Likes Given: 4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post

I'm really interested in the magnesium hydroxide powder too - where did you find that?
I bought this brand off of Amazon. It's super-fine & silky: https://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplemen...00GUOWENQ?th=1

IrishLass

lenarenee Likes This 
Old 05-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2349 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 3541

Interesting thoughts on the MgOH2. Since I never heard of it until IL mentioned it in the de-funk de pits thread, I have no thoughts about it. But, if you try it and it works better than the baking soda, let me know. I would imagine, though, that you couldn't do an oz for oz substitution with them since they are chemically different substances that will work differently. It took me a while to figure out the right combination when I reduced the baking soda and added the DE. I had to change the amounts of everything. But, for those that didn't know where to start experimenting, this is a good beginning point.

People Like This 
Old 05-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #23
TeresaT
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2349 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 3541

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
I bought this brand off of Amazon. It's super-fine & silky: https://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplemen...00GUOWENQ?th=1

IrishLass
That's what I bought, too. Actually, now that I think about it, I believe you posted this link on the other thread, and I found it that way. I mixed the entire container of powder with about 9 oz of oil to make my deo.

If anyone wants to try the MgOH2 in the powder without making the baking soda batch first, let me know. I can send you some of my batch to compare it to. I made a 5 pound monster batch the last time and I'm the only one using it. I have a ton of it left.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #24
MySoapyHeart
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1205 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
Oh no that's not it at all Soapy Heart - please don't worry. I just couldn't confirm that the two products were the same thing and I didn't want anyone to make a purchase thinking they knew what they were getting! (I did a little searching on Google but still couldn't find info that the two items were the same thing!)
Phew, and thank you for letting me know, glad to hear it <3 :-*

Old 05-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #25
beckster51
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks for this, Teresa! I don't use commercial powder very often, although as I said to you before, I like the feel of powder IF it doesn't get gummy when I sweat. Lots of commercial ones seem to do that to me. And I hate the way commercial powders smell, for the most part. When things calm down here (I am planning a wedding), I will try to find time to make me a batch. I was glad to hear that inhalation of these items is not harmful. I am a little concerned about that when I apply powder.
TeresaT Likes This 
Old 05-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #26
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10672 Times on 4860 Posts
Likes Given: 4777

Any powder can be harmful if for no other reason that solid particles can get into your respiratory system. So it's always wise to not puff up a cloud of the stuff and inhale it all when you use any kind of dusty stuff -- flour, body powder, whatever. I use a dry foundation when I wear makeup and it's nearly impossible to keep the powder from getting into the air. Ugh. But I just hold my breath and step away from the mirror.
IrishLass Likes This 
Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #27
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1260 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

I m making it now with MH instead of bs
Arrowroot 1 tsp
Rice Flour 1 tsp
Natrasorb aka flo 1.5 tsp (probably waits 0.3 g
De 1 tsp (around 2 g)
MH 2 tsp round
Potato starch 1 tsp
I will probably change it when I feel the powders. Will report the results, I am like Teresa a bit overweight and need something, I am desperate for powder. thanks Teresa
I am going to add potato starch
Edited, it seems to work; still dry skin

Last edited by Dahila; 06-16-2017 at 02:57 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #28
Omneya
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Thank you so much for the recipe. Underboob sweat is a real thing and I hate sweating there. I had no clue where to start to even make hand made powder for myself. I have been using the powder from Vagasil for under my boobs. Now i can make my own (Thanks to you) and be completely free of store bought. That was the only thing that I buy and now I can try making some.
TeresaT Likes This 
Old 06-16-2017, 12:59 AM   #29
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1260 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 3209

Omneya original poster is our Lovely Teresa, I changed her recipe, a bit not a lot. two hours and my skin , the burn does not hurt, I added potato starch cause my mother use it on me when I had major breakouts of dermatitis, It calmed my itching.
I did not make a lot as you see but it is going to last forever
One advice, the powders, I put all of them in zip lock and mixed them well, wait few minutes so powders settle down and then u can move it to any container.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #30
Omneya
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I will try both but I don't have DM or MH. I have to get those
Oh man the under boon struggle is so bad in the summer and yes i get like rashes there and the only thing that was helping was the vagasil powder. It cleared it right up. But if I can make my own I will be much happier.

People Like This