~*~ SMF June 2017 Challenge - Peacock Swirls! ~*~
~ June 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > General Chat > Gluten Free - Nutrition Density

Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
BattleGnome

Liked 490 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Default Gluten Free - Nutrition Density

I've been looking at my diet the past few days and it could due with some improving. I don't eat very much bread so I figure replacing nutritionally sparse bread products with nutritionally denser options would be a good way to start.

I found a yummy looking replacement for hamburger buns (link) but I know garlic bread can easily be my deterrent.

Does anyone have any recourses or suggestions for me to start looking? Google is currently giving me lists that seem to be the same 4-10 things reformatted to fit the blogger.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7369 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 15291

Do you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance? Because if you don't, then you do not need a gluten free recipe or products.

People Like This 
Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
BattleGnome

I am not looking to cut gluten completely, I know that's a dumb idea. I'm not quite sure how else to phrase it.

What I would like to add to my diet are more nutritionally dense bread like foods, if that makes sense. The majority of the bread products available to me have at least 8-10g of sugar per serving, no minerals, no vitamins, are not filling, 100 calories per slice of bread, etc. I'm looking for options that don't have added sugar. Maybe I can trick myself into eating more veggies. With luck someone can help me find that website that will help me understand other types of wheat better (I know sorghum, millet, and einkorn are healthier options I just can't find sources for practical use).

Old 06-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1763 Times on 875 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

BattleGnome, perhaps you would like to try Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Bread. It is kept in the freezer section in Health Food stores. Some grocery stores carry it, as well (in the freezer section.) It is quite costly, but if you plan to cut down on breads anyway and want denser nutrition, this is a very good way to go for those bread needs. I like the taste of it, and have a friend who eats only Ezekiel bread when she eats bread.

Another thing to try and you may find you like it, is to eat only raw sprouted nuts rather than roasted nuts (if you eat nuts.) The taste of raw sprouted nuts taste far superior to roasted nuts, but again, they are more costly.

For bread-like replacement if you don't want to substitute wasted calories, I found that iceberg lettuce leaves make a fabulous wrap for the innards to a sandwich. Of course, you may want to take a look at what those innards are. Burgers might not go so well wrapped in a leaf of lettuce.

Anyway, good luck with your re-designing of your dietary habits. It can be a fun journey.
People Like This 
Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 454 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGnome View Post
I am not looking to cut gluten completely, I know that's a dumb idea. I'm not quite sure how else to phrase it.

What I would like to add to my diet are more nutritionally dense bread like foods, if that makes sense...).
Are you willing to bake your own breads or are you looking for pre-made products?

Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7369 Times on 4075 Posts
Likes Given: 15291

My solution to people wanting to improve their diet is to eat all meals in this order:

Vegetables-be sure to get two full servings. It can be a salad (oil and vinegar dressing, or very small amount of regular dressing), or cooked vegetables.

Wait five minutes.

Eat your protein. Not breaded this or that.

Wait five minutes.

Eat your carbohydrates. Be sure it is only one serving.

Normally, by this time, your stomach has told your brain you are full. Stop eating now.
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 02:46 AM   #7
BattleGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapmaker145 View Post
Are you willing to bake your own breads or are you looking for pre-made products?
Most of the premade products that's seem to be available to me seem to replace the wheat aspect with something extra sugary to supplement flavor. I'm not opposed to premade stuff, but without analyzing every label I'm not sure how much I trust them.

I'm trying my best to make stuff at home, I think I've 75% succeeded (that was the last challenge). So recipes are ideal but I won't say no to convenience.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:10 AM   #8
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 454 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Quote:
Most of the premade products that's seem to be available to me seem to replace the wheat aspect with something extra sugary to supplement flavor. I'm not opposed to premade stuff, but without analyzing every label I'm not sure how much I trust them.

I'm trying my best to make stuff at home, I think I've 75% succeeded (that was the last challenge). So recipes are ideal but I won't say no to convenience.
Good!!! I can't help you with premade stuff because I rarely buy anything premade but I can help you with making your own. I always recommend Tartine #3 baking book for nutrient dense breads (https://www.amazon.com/Tartine-Book-...ine+book+no.+3). I'll be back within the next 2 days and I'll give you the general guidelines I used and the substitutions I made. I make 4 to 6 loaves at a time and freeze them.
BattleGnome Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 AM   #9
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1827 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 639

A good bread alternative is very difficult to be happy with. I'm a low carber....and I'm still searching.

Here is one of my favorite sites: alldayidreamaboutfood.com Although I don't remember how many bread recipes she has. Her cakes are the best low carb recipes ever....and are so nutritious I'll let little one eat it for breakfast.

Also look up Soul bread, made with whey protein flour. That's what I like for sandwiches or toast. Or Oopsie rolls.

I've taken a good quality protein powder and made flat bread with the pancake method.
BattleGnome Likes This 
Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
penelopejane

Liked 1352 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
I've been looking at my diet the past few days and it could due with some improving. I don't eat very much bread so I figure replacing nutritionally sparse bread products with nutritionally denser options would be a good way to start.

I found a yummy looking replacement for hamburger buns (link) but I know garlic bread can easily be my deterrent.

Does anyone have any recourses or suggestions for me to start looking? Google is currently giving me lists that seem to be the same 4-10 things reformatted to fit the blogger.
I've recently gone gluten free (not coeliac but working out if I'm non coeliac gluten intolerant) and I eat brown rice mostly. Have only found one GF bread worth eating. So your alternatives sound great battlegnome!

Rice cakes (no additives just brown rice) are excellent.
Watch the additives in GF store bought stuff (I am intolerant of corn - that's not just me but most GF has corn so if you are still feeling unwell try no corn as well). GF doesn't necessarily mean healthy!

BattleGnome Likes This