Felting soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
Does anybody do this? I think as an alternative to the dreaded rebatch, it might be fun just to felt my ugly soap. It's the same good recipe just nicked up or dented, or gross colors etc.

if you have pix of yours, I'd love to see them. Their kinda cool. I always wonder though if they'd get moldy inside there.

I don't felt my soap yet , but there are a lot of tuts on you tube here is one for your viewing pleasure .
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVaxwVWf3po"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVaxwVWf3po[/ame]

Kitn

I wasn't going to say it, but I think I will LOL

The idea of felting soap bugs me. I mean, I know it's soap and all but it's also dead skin on there and you can't wash all that out of the felt.
I like the scrubby idea, IF I could take it off and wash it lol.
Just me.

Dixie said:
I wasn't going to say it, but I think I will LOL

The idea of felting soap bugs me. I mean, I know it's soap and all but it's also dead skin on there and you can't wash all that out of the felt.
I like the scrubby idea, IF I could take it off and wash it lol.
Just me.

You were thinking "dead skin" and I had visions of other things...lol. Ew.

The trick to "felting" is that the wool must be 100% wool, no nylon or polyester blends. And the water must be hot.
I have actually made felt in the washing maching, by knitting a square of wool, then putting it in the wash on a hot cycle, with soap. The hot water soap combination turns it into felt. It's pretty fascinating.
I wonder if making the felt in the washing maching method, then sewing up two sides, like a pocket, then putting the soap in the felt pocket might be a better idea, that way you can take the soap out and rinse the pocket out properly.

Go back a few posts and watch the video Kitn posted ....... that will explain it.

Val

oohh I see it, yeah i'm on a GOV'T computer in Iraq.. so it's bluecoated.. :oops: hheeehhh thanks val I'll take a looksy when I get to the MWR

Ru -
You tear apart pieces of wool and wrap them around the soap to form a "coat" of sorts. You can use pretty colors. Then you soap them up in hot water and the wool shrinks tightly around the soap and "felts", just like you would felt a purse, or whatever. the concept is that it's a soap with a built in washcloth, but they're sorta cool. Here's a pic for the Iraq-stationed of us. :wink:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/225 ... e8.jpg?v=0

I think the idea of them being softly scrubby is neat, but I have also heard from people who have bought felted soap that it gets musty and even moldy because the felt does not get a chance to fully dry between uses.

I had this problem even with a crocheted soap sack which is much less thick than the wool I have seen on felted soaps, so I can see it being a problem!

Sorry to bust your spirits, but just thought I'd share this since I'm sure you would not want your felted soap going moldy on a customer!

AshleyR said:
I think the idea of them being softly scrubby is neat, but I have also heard from people who have bought felted soap that it gets musty and even moldy because the felt does not get a chance to fully dry between uses.

I had this problem even with a crocheted soap sack which is much less thick than the wool I have seen on felted soaps, so I can see it being a problem!

Sorry to bust your spirits, but just thought I'd share this since I'm sure you would not want your felted soap going moldy on a customer!

Yeah, as I said above, I thought it might. Hmm. I wonder how people sell these then? A preservative, maybe? Thanks, Ash.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo those look really neato!!! :D Can you buy wool at fabric stores? I've never dealt with that type of material before... but this seems very interesting... thanks LJA for showing me that picuture!

rupertspal42 said:
oohh I see it, yeah i'm on a GOV'T computer in Iraq.. so it's bluecoated.. :oops: hheeehhh thanks val I'll take a looksy when I get to the MWR

Sorry about that ...... didn't know your were unable to do videos. I thought you just missed seeing the link. :oops:

Val

I have been having fun with felting soap and I've gone through a couple already. The first one was way too thick, made with hard, tallow soap-- very difficult to get a lather going through it.

The second was a softer bar of soap with more coconut oil (mixed with olive and tallow), thinner layer of felted wool, and it was absolutely dreamy to use! The soap didn't last long, but it was truly a spa experience. The felted lather was very thick and with rich foam.

I've been making more of them today, I will post pictures later...

L

I've done a couple.....wasn't my favorite to use & my husband always asked 'who coughed up the hairball' :wink: But do think maybe Fireweed I had it covered maybe a bit too thick....and pretty sure I don't have the patience to do many :D

The question was never really answered about the felt staying 'clean'. Someone mentioned a preservative in the soap. I too wonder if that would work. Otherwise to pick up a moldy felted bar of soap would be really discusting.
It's like using a wash rag over and over again and never washing it.
You guys need to tell me the difference here lol

I'm not fussing....just curious as to why these are so popular. I think it is a cool, neat idea, but I would worry about mold and meldew.

Any ideas?

Back