Aging mp base

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a large amount of aging mp base (mostly consisting of two 50 lb blocks each of Stephenson's, so 100 lbs in all, 1 block of clear and one of opaque) that I bought about 10 months ago. Then got obsessed w/making cp, so it just sits there staring accusingly me.

How long does this last w/o the glycerin evaporating too much? Ie; can I hold on to it and use it comfortably for another year or so? Try and sell it the bases as-is/make and donate a bunch right now?

It is in a big block which was sealed (or at least fully wrapped in plastic that was tucked in well) when I got it. I opened it, took a look at it, and then tucked it in again and have not touched it since ...

Stephenson's base keeps very well for at least 2 or 3 years. I like to test my soap! I keep it wrapped and in a Rubbermaid storage container with a snug, leak-proof lid. If it's food safe and BPA-free, then it's fine for soap storage, whether bars of soap or raw soap base. Here's a picture:
41vmrW-%2B18L.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-7J77-Rectangle-Storage-Container/dp/B000WEMFGQ/ref=sr_1_34?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1438281424&sr=1-34

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Lisa! Do you think keeping it in the original box - actually, it seems somewhat less airtight of a method than yours does - will work in terms of using for another year or so? I don't want to go through and break up the 100 lbs into all those small containers, I don't have enough of them :) Plus am lazy.

Last edited:
Thanks, Lisa! Do you think keeping it in the original box - actually, it seems somewhat less airtight of a method than yours does - will work in terms of using for another year or so? I don't want to go through and break up the 100 lbs into all those small containers, I don't have enough of them :) Plus am lazy.

The original box is good but if you want to keep it in an airtight container, that would be ideal. Also, you should store it in a closet or someplace well away from heat/humidity. Rubbermaid, along with other brands, makes a 14-gallon container. I don't blame you for not wanting to cut up all that soap as 100 pounds is a lot!
Here's a link to the 14-gallon container: http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-FG9S3000WHT-14-gallon-Capacity/dp/B007IBPTBO

Hope this helps & Happy Soaping! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back