Hair balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyGoats

Reaction score
Does any one have a good recipe for hair balm?
One that is great on frizzy hair but soaks in fast and I can add herbs to?

Not sure what a hair balm is, but I use my lotion bar when I get out of the shower on my skin, then scrunch wet hair with the left over. My curls like it!

I mean something like a lip balm, or something ( I don't like I have the right name:) Something to smooth and moisturize my hair. I have fine, thick hair, so it breaks real easy. But it can't be for wet hair, as we have hard water...I made myself a shampoo bar and MAN, that was nasty! My hair looked greasy, wet and like I had just gelled it, even if I had just washed it.

It takes a few days for your scalp to adjust from commercial shampoo to a shampoo bar. Check out the active thread on shampoo bars for a great recipe by Genny. I know when I go to my hairdresser for a cut it takes me a few washes to get my hair looking good again because I don't put up a fight to let her wash my hair.

I tried it for around 2 weeks. It was supposed to be a rich lathering , moisturizing recipe.

12oz Coconut Oil
6oz Palm Oil
10oz Castor Oil
8oz Olive Oil
4oz Jojoba Oil

Lye: 6% 5.3oz
Goat Milk: 13.1oz

My friend is really happy with it...but I don't really want to try a shampoo bar again ):

I switched to cold process shampoo bars about a month and a half ago, and ive ditched all store bought hair products.
I had an itchy scalp for part of the transition, but it's getting better now, and I've noticed my curls have gotten nicer! My hair is less stringy and the curls are more defined, and i love it!
I use a shampoo bar, rinse with 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts water (i mix a little rosemary and lavender essential oils too, maybe some tea tree)
and i make my own curl gel made with flaxseeds (if you google flaxseed hair gel, a few recipes will show up)
what i love about the flaxseed hair gel is it doesnt dry super crunchy, it doesnt weigh my hair down, and i can scent it with whatever im in the mood for. The only downfall is the gel is kinda slimy and you gotta refrigerate.
It feels so good not to have to spend money on overpriced hair products!
check out the link above, there is alot of tips for natural hair care, and soap recipe's too!

For hair products of all types: swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com Best ... Resource .... Ever.

For what it's worth, I haven't had luck with CP shampoo either. I make syndet bars and they are fabulous. To each her own.

I know this is probably late, I am new to the forum. Camellia seed oil is great for hair and skin. After I wash, dry and style my hair I rub 3-4 drops camellia seed oil on my hands then run my hands through my hair. It leaves my hair soft and it doesn't feel greasy afterwards. You will have to experiment to see just how much your hair will need.

It takes a few days for your scalp to adjust from commercial shampoo to a shampoo bar. Check out the active thread on shampoo bars for a great recipe by Genny. I know when I go to my hairdresser for a cut it takes me a few washes to get my hair looking good again because I don't put up a fight to let her wash my hair.

Last time I went to my hairdresser, I took my shampoo bar with me. I also took her a couple and brought my own conditioner. She was happy to use my 'poo bar on me, and though sceptical, she took the 'poo bars. I have not followed up with her to see if she tried them or not. I did tell her she could use them as a super conditioning bar soap if she did not want to try them on her hair.

I don't have a recipe for hair balm, but last night I came across a recipe for anti-frizz serum that seems promising. I haven't tried it yet, but boy do I plan to!

Anti-Frizz Serum Recipe for Hair

Ingredients
4 ounces Camellia Oil (said to have natural UV ray protection qualities)
1/2 ounce Castor Oil
1/2 ounce Unrefined Avocado Oil
25 drops Essential oils for scent

Choose a natural, organic essential oil according to the healing properties desired. Use myrrh or peppermint for dry hair, lavender or rose oil for fine hair to normal hair, or add lemon or chamomile for golden highlights. Avoid using synthetic oils.

Combine all ingredients in a DARK GLASS bottle (sunlight is damaging to all oil types). Shake well before each use

To Use: Apply a small amount to damp hair before blow drying or apply a very small amount to dry hair for smoothing and shine.

Last edited:
I have used pure argan oil for years for my hair serum and my hair loves it! I just put a few drops of my favorite EO (I prefer, lavender, rose and geranium) for fragrance and use a couple of drops after my shampoo while my hair is still damp. I have soft, shiny hair with no split ends or frizz at all! I also make my own shampoo bars (and liquid shampoo) and rinse with ACV that I infuse with sage, rosemary, nettle and horsetail. I mix about 3 tbs into my 16oz squeeze bottle with water and use for my rinse. A lot of people are put off by the smell of vinegar but once your hair is dry the smell disappears completely or again add some of your favorite EO for fragrance. I add rosemary and Tea Tree to mine.

Latest posts

Back