Failed bath melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
I found this recipe for bath melts and I was so eager to try it out! The recipe Called for 60 grams of mango butter and cocoa butter and 30 grams of sweet almond oil. I put them in the freezer to let them harden and took them out 10 minutes later. They looked great! Then I let them come back to room temp and they turned to mush! Obviously they're too soft to hold shape because of the amount of liquid oil and mango butter.

As for fixing this molten mess, how much more cocoa butter should add? I've seen other recipes for bath melts that call for only a teaspoon of liquid oil to a whopping 9 oz of cocoa butter.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I've never made bath melts with just butters and oils as the ingredients and I've only used mango butter in them. I didn't use any liquid oils. So I'm just guessing that it would be better to have the cocoa butter to make up at least 50% of your recipe to increase firmness. Did you use 30 g of cocoa butter? I'd suggest trying 30 g more to see if this would make them firm enough. If it doesn't, then try another 30 g, etc. Once you get a batch which is firm enough, then you'll know the percentages required for the ingredients.

I think you need an ingredient like beeswax or cocobutter so they stay solid before you put in tub, don't use a lot of wax, I would lean more to cocoa butter and it smells great too!

I have used it, it does tend to make the bath melt last a long time, I think my last one I used cocoa butter, I also have one I make and I use baking soda and citric acid but I use a lot of butters with it so its a goopy mess then I pour into small molds, like an ice cube tray pop in freezer for about 30 min when they come out they are solid and stash solid until ready to use, I just keep them in a glass jar until ready to use, I usually use eucalyptus so. They work great if your stuffed up, I will post the recipe when I find it in my notes, it won't leave you tub greasy or anything, and for the size of them they last a good time in the tub, just love them

Fizzing Bath Melts

I use un-deoderized cocoa butter, baking soda, citric acid, Lavender EO and a touch of almond oil. The scent of chocolate and lavender is heaven! They fizz and melt in the tub and keep very well as long as you are not holding them because the do melt in your hands.

If I can find my recipe they won't melt in your hands there like a cross between a fizzy and a melt. Actually I just found a similar recipe I on line I will post in a min

Ingredients:

2 Cups Baking Soda
1 Cup Citric Acid
4 oz. Cocoa Butter, Melted
1 oz Shea Butter, Melted
1 oz Sweet Almond Oil
1 oz Fragrance/Essential Oil*

Its like a dough substance but you can mold it into any shape you like and rest on wax paper, if you use a mold make sure its a flexible. Silicone is the best. But don't use a solid one you will never get the out

Hope that helps you they harden after a few hours too you don't have to wait over night like a bath bomb

bath melts

I make these alot and this recipe works well for me

2 oz cocoa butter
2 oz shea butter
2tbl beeswax
1tbl carrier oil
EO of your choice

pop them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. I keep them in a jar in my bathroom until i am ready to use!

So yours are more of a melt then, not a fizzy melt? I had a recipe similar to that , but I use mine for a lotion bar, I think I may have had more beeswax in mine, I may just try them out, did you have any problems with them melting in the summer months?

Really red, I think I may try this recipes to see how it holds out.
Jenb, did you have slickness in the tub when you use the beeswax in your melts? I'm hesitant to try with the beeswax.

As for an update of what happened with me: I tried to fix the mess by having equal parts cocoa butter and mango butter. Added 2 parts baking soda and 1 part citric acid and a little bit of kaolin. It seemed promising until a week later. I had put the melts in little cupcake liners and added Royal Icing to the tops. The melts started oozing excess oils and left a huge mess in the pretty cello bag I had packed them in. The icing managed to slip right off as well as the liner. So I had to toss them. They were just a hot mess!

But I did try the recipe one more time with a whole new batch, and it worked perfectly!

Tinytreats, I really like the recipe I posted because you have the option of molding them into any shape, or you can put them in a silicone mold, p!us if they are for kids you can tint them and the make the water fun, p!Lu's my kids seem to like that they are like bath fizzys, but they take a while to fizz, they don't fizzle out fast, so they are pretty, fun, the original recipe they were a lush copy of the melting snowman use chocolate chips for eyes and buttons and color some orange and use for the nose, or use candy ginger,nor you can get creative and make them into bath bomb shapes or any fun shape you vwant, you could even embed a toy in it easier than a bath bomb, you can get really creative, and your skin will love you, but just be careful getting out of the tub, because anything you add oils to for the bath tends to be a little sliuck, but just rince tub with hot water after your bath

You are going to have an oily film on your tub due to the butter and oils. I've tried several different recipes (butters/oil, butters/fizz type) and can't stand the film left. Plus they can make the tub slippery. I thought about trying adding polysorbate to help but never got around to it. They always look nice.

Back