Pork Lard vs Beef Lard In CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trxflyer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was in the store today and came across fresh pork lard. It seemed inexpensive and I've always wondered about lard in soap so I bought it. Before, I go with making CP soap using the lard I have a couple of questions:

1.) Is Pork Lard any better or worse than Beef Lard for soapmaking? Does one 'behave' better than the other or need to be treated different than the other?

2.) Is there going to be a pungent smell when I melt the Lard down and incorporate it into the mix?

3.) What is the best temp to work with Pork Fat? I generally like to work close to room temp oils but obviously that won't be possible with lard. Best temp range?

4.) Is there a traditional soap type made with lard kind of like with goat's milk everyone seems to like/make Goat's Milk Oatmeal & Honey.

Thanks!

photo-13.jpg

That's a fair response. I don't think I could give up my carnivorous ways though :razz:

Last edited:
Rendered Beef fat (as well as Deer, Sheep, and Buffalo) is referred to as Tallow, not Lard, which is specifically rendered Pork fat.

If that lard isn't already rendered, you'll need to do so before using if for soap. When I did it, it smelt fairly gross, but I bought a 15 pound chunk of un-rendered pig fat with the skin still attached, it wasn't processed at all. I suggest opening a window before starting. But if you do it right, it doesn't smell when you use it for soap and it's a lovely, creamy, and inexpensive fat source.

I don't have tons of experience, but since I started soaping again I have used fat I rendered from bacon, as well as pre-packaged Armour Lard. Both were really easy for me to work with.

The only description I can give as far as smell is pork skins - that fishy, piggy smell, but not super strong. But that's only until it's soaped. I don't have any lard/bacon/pig smell left in any of the bars that have been curing for 2-3 weeks.

Lard and beef tallow have slightly different properties. Lard is more conditioning than beef tallow but both contribute to hardness and a stable lather in a batch.

Neither is better or worse. It just depends on what results you want to achieve from including them in a recipe. I like conditioning type of soap but I have a problem with my batches being "soft" - they tend to dissolve faster in the shower compared to soap which is less conditioning. You don't have to treat them differently from each other. I haven't used tallow but I soap lard at around 120F. If you do want to try it at room temp, I think you'd need to be careful that you don't mistake its thickening from the cooler temp as trace. Both lard and tallow cause a quicker trace so this is something else you might want to be aware of if you plan on using an accelerating fragrance.

You already got advice about rendering. (Good! I don't have to mention it. :lol:)

I'd say 100% lard for a traditional soap. Personally, I don't like 100% lard because I don't care for the lather. I like lots and lots of bubbles. :grin: However, many people do like 100% lard because it's so mild and is considered good for skin issues like eczema. I don't know if it really is but other people have mentioned they use it for this reason.

You might find this discussion helpful. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/lard-soaps-22993/

As far as rendering goes. your going to have to break down the slab before you melt it. if there is any connective tissue there (most likely) chopping with a knife can be difficult. I would recommend partially freezing first, and keeping your knife as cold as possible, also kitchen gloves the kind that have textured finger tips will help you keep ahold. Or if you have a grinder i highly recommend using it! Place in freezer 30 min before using will help keep the lard from "melting" in the grinder. If you can grind it the tiny bits will float to the top while rendering and you can just use a slotted spoon to remove them.

I like lard over tallow, mainly because of the smell. We render our own lard and tallow and the smell of the tallow seems to linger in the soap. I am unable to pick up any off odor in my soap made with lard. The lard makes wonderful white soap.

I've been reading up on rendering lard as I am trading some pork fat to render for soap. (I've rendered beef tallow before.) I've read that it helps to add some baking soda (tho I do not know how much!) or perhaps some peppermint to keep the smell under control. Also, I'm going to do it outside on the burner of the outdoor grill. I love using lard in soap. My favorite recipe uses it at 30% of total oils.

Rendered Beef fat (as well as Deer, Sheep, and Buffalo) is referred to as Tallow, not Lard, which is specifically rendered Pork fat.

I knew the others were called tallow. However, I thought they were also called lard interchangeably. Thanks for the info.

Hmmm, I just bought an outdoor burner for making asian wok dishes and buffalo wings (super bowl). I guess it'll will also be a rendering device :). I need to do a lot more studying on rendering properly. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Hey lizflowers42 - Sorry you got tagged. I wasn't offended at all. You have a perspective that I respect and a passion for it that I can appreciate. No harm here. You're passion and perspective also help teach me a point of view for potential customers and/or friends and family that may have a similiar view that I need to be aware of. I appreciate that lesson. All is good.

Lard and beef tallow have slightly different properties. Lard is more conditioning than beef tallow but both contribute to hardness and a stable lather in a batch.

Neither is better or worse. It just depends on what results you want to achieve from including them in a recipe. I like conditioning type of soap but I have a problem with my batches being "soft" - they tend to dissolve faster in the shower compared to soap which is less conditioning. You don't have to treat them differently from each other. I haven't used tallow but I soap lard at around 120F. If you do want to try it at room temp, I think you'd need to be careful that you don't mistake its thickening from the cooler temp as trace. Both lard and tallow cause a quicker trace so this is something else you might want to be aware of if you plan on using an accelerating fragrance.

You already got advice about rendering. (Good! I don't have to mention it. :lol:)

I'd say 100% lard for a traditional soap. Personally, I don't like 100% lard because I don't care for the lather. I like lots and lots of bubbles. :grin: However, many people do like 100% lard because it's so mild and is considered good for skin issues like eczema. I don't know if it really is but other people have mentioned they use it for this reason.

You might find this discussion helpful. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/lard-soaps-22993/

Thanks for the information and especially the link, I missed that one in my forum search. It has perfect beginner information!

I love lard in my soaps. I haven't been using my tallow soaps quite long enough to be able to give a good comparison. Some of my favorite soaps have been 30-40% lard. You can definitely avoid the lard smell by gently & slowly heating it.

As far as pleasing everyone who can be a potential customer, you need to find a recipe or two that you truly feel is the best. You will not be able to please everyone. If you try, you will have dozens of formulas to take into consideration nut allergies, coconut allergies, etc. If your target market/area is for vegans/vegetarians/natural consumers, then by all means, formulate for them, but if you are like me, and prefer to appeal to people's love of color and scent, then formulate for that in combination of how the soap feels. It will drive you nuts to try to have a certain of formulas available. It will be a much happier soaper who follows their heart and makes what they want to make :) I do have a person I make an exception for and will do all veggie for them, but that's just a friend thing.

I use both lard and beef tallow - as soon as I can get some deer tallow I plan to use that too. I have made soap using anything from 5% to 55%. I have never smelled any odors from the AOs in my soap. There was a discussion on one of the groups I belong to recently about rendering lard down. One of the things they said was not to put water in the pot when rendering pork fat like you would beef fat. I didn't know that, I would have done it like beef, with some water in the pot.

I know that some people have a very strong opinion about using animal fats in their soap, but I have not ran into anyone who had a problem with mine. I use an AO in probably 75% or more of my soaps.

Good luck with rending it down and turning it into wonderful soap.

So can you just use the lard that comes in buckets in the grocery store and not have to render it? I believe it has preservative or vitamin added?.?

Back