Calculations for Goats milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrley

Reaction score
Hi...I am wanting to make a soap using goats milk and water. Is there something different I need to do when plugging my numbers into soapcalc, or can I just use half of the water that the recipe calls for and then add the same amount of milk after the lye solution has cooled down? I hope that makes sense. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Yep! As long as you have at least 50/50 water/lye you can add the rest in milk. (you can use 100% milk if you want to, but it'll burn. but hey mine burns either way sometimes!)

tasha said:
Yep! As long as you have at least 50/50 water/lye you can add the rest in milk. (you can use 100% milk if you want to, but it'll burn. but hey mine burns either way sometimes!)

You could freeze the GM & add it to the lye/water mix as well. That will help ensure the milk doesn't burn. I only had 1 case where my milk burned & it was because I let the frozen milk thaw too much. IMO you could make your 50/50 water/lye, have the GM frozen in an ice cube tray & add the cubes to the water/lye mix.

Thanks for the input everyone. I made the soap last night and it looks great. I added the milk at room temperature into the oils right before adding the water/lye mix. I think I will do another batch with 100% milk frozen into cubes so that I can compare the two soaps.

Back