What do I do with these?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nao

Reaction score
I'm going through my DIY-stuff trying to get rid of/use up things to clear up space and after browsing the internet I'm still not sure what or how to use a couple of things, any ideas would be appreciated!

Grapefruit seed extract- bought it as a natural preservative but now I know better. Is there any others uses for this or should I just throw it out? Or since it apparently is mostly glycerin I can just dump it in soap or use it to blend pigments in before adding to soap batter?

Sandarac, mastic, copai, damar, and aloes gum- bought it for making incense than I discovered that it's to smoky and messy and dusty and I'd rather just throw it out but don't like to waste it. Is it possible to make some sort of roisin soap with it?

Sulfur powder- I think I bought it to help with the seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp but I don't want to use soap on my hair. And since it's not water soluble I can't add it to my baking soda and citric acid hair washing routine either. Is there any other way to use it or will I just have to throw it out?

Orrisroot powder- I think I bought it for making potpourri but that didn't work very good. I wouldn't mind putting it in soap as a fixative even if it's a sensitizer but my impression is that it doesn't work very well?

G seed extract I use to slow down oxidation of oils. I tend to order huge amount of oils so I put a bit of it into it. Orrisroot add to soap to help with scent, It suppose to keep the scent better.........it may be used in dry shampoo too

Grapefruit seed extract - if it's mostly glycerin, you could use it in lotion.

Sulfur powder - I think you can put it in soap. IIRC it's a good anti-bacterial and anti fungal. Some acne soaps use it. You can also mix it with some talcum powder, put it in a sock and dust your ankles with it to protect from chiggers. You may also be able to use it in the garden.

The other stuff....Maybe just Craigs List it all?

Sulfur powder? Chigger killer :twisted:

Down here in the south (US) chiggers are out of control.

Ask my 10 plus bites (that itch for a solid 2 plus weeks, uncontrollably, itching in your sleep etc), which are tame compared to previous encounters! I have sulfur pellets now which do not help. I HAVE to go get some powder!

G seed extract I use to slow down oxidation of oils. I tend to order huge amount of oils so I put a bit of it into it. Orrisroot add to soap to help with scent, It suppose to keep the scent better.........it may be used in dry shampoo too

Oh, I didn't know that, I've only ever heard GSE being marketed as a preservative that actually doesn't really work. But that's awesome, thank you!

Grapefruit seed extract - if it's mostly glycerin, you could use it in lotion.

Sulfur powder - I think you can put it in soap. IIRC it's a good anti-bacterial and anti fungal. Some acne soaps use it. You can also mix it with some talcum powder, put it in a sock and dust your ankles with it to protect from chiggers. You may also be able to use it in the garden.

The other stuff....Maybe just Craigs List it all?

I've tried glycerin in lotion actually and I have to say I didn't like it, but if it's fine as an antioxidant than all is good!

I was thinking of using the sulfur powder in soap but the turn outs seems very unpredictable, so I'm not sure it's worth the trouble? Then there is the smell, I wouldn't know where to store it without the smell bothering someone.
I don't know if I could do like, an emulsified hair mask or something?

Luckily we don't have chiggers, at least I haven't come across any. And I'm horrible at keeping up maintainance work in the garden.

Sulfur powder? Chigger killer :twisted:

Down here in the south (US) chiggers are out of control.

Ask my 10 plus bites (that itch for a solid 2 plus weeks, uncontrollably, itching in your sleep etc), which are tame compared to previous encounters! I have sulfur pellets now which do not help. I HAVE to go get some powder!

Oh, that doesn't sound nice at all! I would happily send my powder to you if I wasn't living on the other side of the globe. Suddenly I feel very lucky for only having ticks and mosquitos:neutral:

Ticks and mosquitos are pretty bad but I'm also lucky not to have experienced the joys of chigger bites. I'm usually busy being a mosquito buffet.

Edit: http://www.livestrong.com/article/183648-how-to-use-sulfur-powder-for-hair/

Honestly we don't even have much of those either. The most bothersome critters I've come across is what my mother calls "suer mosquitos", they are only active a couple of weeks in the spring and then they are gone. But there won't be a a day you wake up without a couple of new bites.

And thank you for the link, I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

Honestly we don't even have much of those either. The most bothersome critters I've come across is what my mother calls "suer mosquitos", they are only active a couple of weeks in the spring and then they are gone. But there won't be a a day you wake up without a couple of new bites.

And thank you for the link, I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

You're welcome. the sulfur powder is prompting me to look further into it. I might be a nice addition to a lotion but you'd have to keep your proportions under a certain amount for safety reasons.

Sulphur powder will get rid of mice, rats and possums in the roof. It can be put in a metal lid in the roof space and set alight. It smoulders rather than burns. It sends fumes up through the roof space. Close the manhole up again and the mice etc will stay away for 12 months.

Sulphur powder will get rid of mice, rats and possums in the roof. It can be put in a metal lid in the roof space and set alight. It smoulders rather than burns. It sends fumes up through the roof space. Close the manhole up again and the mice etc will stay away for 12 months.

That sounds dangerous! I dont think I would dare to try even if I had rats :Kitten Love:

Latest posts

Back