Baby eagle rescue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you watch the live Washington DC eagle cam regularly, but if you don't you missed an exciting event a few days ago. One of the eaglets got his leg stuck between two branches at the edge of the nest, and was unable to free itself. After watching, and determining that it really was stuck, a plan was "hatched" to rescue it. At night no less, a brave rescuer climbed the tree, freed the little guy, and then removed him/her from the nest, to be taken to the vet to have the leg x-rayed, to make sure that it was OK. After determining that it was indeed OK, the eaglet was returned to the nest during quite a rainstorm. And before leaving, the rescuer gave the little guy/gal a kiss on top of it's head. Mom and Dad were apparently happy to see the little one back, and carried on like nothing had happened. It really was quite amazing to watch. Just in case you missed it...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hTMrnkpsuU[/ame]

We check the eagles every couple of days, and only got to see the message while live stream was down. Thanks for sharing this - it's amazing to think how many human beings it took to help this eagle - and that many thousands were cheering for it!

We check the eagles every couple of days, and only got to see the message while live stream was down. Thanks for sharing this - it's amazing to think how many human beings it took to help this eagle - and that many thousands were cheering for it!

Yes, when you can virtually perch on the edge of the nest, and watch their development day by day, it's easy to form an attachment to them. What I found really thrilling was watching the rescuer climb into the nest, and that the nest so easily supported the weight of a grown man. And I was surprised, because like most of us, I was raised being told that if you returned a baby bird to it's nest, it's mother would not take care of it. Obviously, that's a old wive's tale that's far from the truth. And I loved the rescuer. This wasn't a "bird guy", this was an arborist. And he was so gentle with the eaglet, urging him/her out of the bag..."C'mon little guy, you can do it! Now, stay away from the edge. Don't make me come back here." And then he kissed it on top of it's head before leaving. I love that guy!!! And I marveled at how smoothly they pulled the whole thing off, rescuing the baby at night, having it checked out, and returning it to the nest in less than 24 hours. This was exciting stuff! :)

I noticed the kiss too! The eaglet actually seemed to try to follow him as he started to climb back down. That arborist is now probably the eaglet's biggest fan!

Back