Just a friendly PSA....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
Be careful.

Thankfully just 200g of MOM and distilled water with a few grams of ewax. Water and elbow grease are working great except that it's everywhere.

IMG_0335.jpg

Glad you're OK! But yeah, how the heck did that happen? Boil over? Explode? It doesn't seem like MOM and beeswax could do THAT! :shock:

Story about not adding more story. Still a bit shocked and trying to figure out what to tackle next before hubby overreacts. It's been over an hour and I got a lot done. There's just still a lot to do.

I was playing with MOM as my water phase for a deodorant lotion. 70ish grams MOM and 120ish grams of water with 8g of ewax in the larger bowl, the smaller (uneffected) bowl had my oils. I had just finished "heat and hold" and was moving my water phase off the burner (already off). I moved the bowl less than an inch and there was a "pop!" and a weird wet feeling. Best I can tell there was a huge air bubble under everything. The liquid was somehow under 120F because I have no burns or other damage that I can tell (my IR thermometer was reading over 170F). The bowl wasn't even warm two minutes after I had moved it off of the burner.

Right now it's all elbow grease to get everything up. It is EVERYWHERE, except the ceiling. It probably color matched itself into the texture

Yikes! I thought maybe you had a cat and it got too curious for its own good. I'm very glad to hear you're okay. Did I understand correctly that you heated the e-wax with the MOM/water as part of the water phase? If so- you should always heat your e-wax with the oil phase and not the water phase. It's more than likely that was the cause the explosion.

IrishLass :)

If so- you should always heat your e-wax with the oil phase and not the water phase. It's more than likely that was the cause the explosion.
[/QUOTE]

Lesson definitely learned. I was hoping to minimize water loss since my water always ends up boiling..... I'll just over pour next time.

If you decide to make it again, I suggest you stress-test the resulting mix by heating it to just past your hottest potential product environment temperature (like you would get if you left your deodorant in your car in the middle of summer). I don't think it will be stable with the e-wax in it.

Last edited:
If you decide to make it again, I suggest you stress-test the resulting mix by heating it to just past your hottest potential product environment temperature

Good idea. I'm flying with a bit of it in my purse this weekend, hopefully that will be a start. When I get home I'll heat a scoop fuel and see what happens.

(I ended up making the mix in the microwave to avoid wasting the other ingredients)

Back