Camping: where to buy glow sticks

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our school has a camping field trip coming up. Where can I find excellent quality wearable glow sticks? And if wearing about the neck, what size would you get; I was thinking 4 or 6 inch, but depending on how bright that is...the kids may be too bothered by the brightness to use them?

Thanks to both of you. I'm looking for "real" glow sticks - the kind that last for 12 hours and don't lose their brightness after a couple of ours. They're camping in the wilderness - they'll double as a flashlight and a way for adults to easily spot them should they wander during the night so we can't risk cheap Halloween type ones. (We use a lot of glowsticks to decorate for Halloween and bought all kinds from dollar/target/party stores and they become dimmer after only a few hours.

Thanks to both of you. I'm looking for "real" glow sticks - the kind that last for 12 hours and don't lose their brightness after a couple of ours. They're camping in the wilderness - they'll double as a flashlight and a way for adults to easily spot them should they wander during the night so we can't risk cheap Halloween type ones. (We use a lot of glowsticks to decorate for Halloween and bought all kinds from dollar/target/party stores and they become dimmer after only a few hours.

The color has a lot to do with how long they last. Brighter/whiter ones can be very short. Red lasts the longest.

Thanks everyone! Found wristbands at glowproducts.com that I'm pretty happy with as they're larger and brighter than the "toy" version and the connector won't pop off. They'll last through most of the night - until almost time for the sun to come up.

Only the military grade glow sticks are guaranteed to glow brightly for 12 hours, but there are no real wearable ones as we don't want the kids wearing anything around their neck while they sleep.

I wouldn't personally trust anything other than red or orange to be truly useful for 12 hours - no matter what the package says.

Yeah that's another thing - what the package says is often so much different than real life performance. I know temperature has a lot to do with it - cooler makes the glow last longer, but not as bright.

They'll be camping in a canyon so I wanted to be sure to buy something very reliable - there's no Target to run to replace any defectives!

I have to second the LED suggestion. There are super cheap flashlights the kids can carry. Walmart had a bunch for 50 cents for a while there, and you could remove the batteries after the camp out and save them for next year.

I have to second the LED suggestion. There are super cheap flashlights the kids can carry. Walmart had a bunch for 50 cents for a while there, and you could remove the batteries after the camp out and save them for next year.

I can suggest that to the teachers for next year. LED lights do last a very long time! But this year they asked for wearable glow sticks.

Latest posts

Back