Hours at the Soap Forum?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a long time soaper but have been a member to this Soap Forum for only seven months. I see many of the same people here every time I'm here. I am so addicted to this forum! Every chance I get, I'm on my laptop and logged on. If I'm out, I use the app on my phone to be on here. At work I have to make sure my boss doesn't see me using this! I think I spend about three or more hours a day here. My laundry is piling up and the dishes have to be done. My kids constantly say, "Are you still doing soap stuff?!?!" Maybe I'm on a honeymoon period... I'm spending much more time on here than I should. How about you? How much time do you spend here?

Did I tell you I have four kids and a full time job? Not to mention the things I do outside of that...

But I learn something new every time I come here! So happy to be with people that love soap just as much as I do~! :smile:

Too much. I am new to the forums and so it is still a novelty to me. I've been making soap for years and never thought of looking for a forum. Like you I am using it at the moment to avoid other things.

I have an order I need to do, it is for soaps that are older recipes that I don't enjoy making so much but are well liked. I need to make 4 more loaves to complete the order. (Yup a preorder - they won't go out until cured) In total the order is over 300 dollars so I really need to get my rear in gear. I've been making 4 loaves at a time (2 I want to and 2 I have to). Thank you for posting this and making me admit it to myself. I think I'm going to make some soap! I'll be back once the four loaves are done.

I just joined this forum and am addicted to it too, it makes me happy.. I wish to be like Dorymae that one day that I will be able to take in orders... I just took up this hobby recently and I feel like I have found my purpose in life :p

That's fantastic soapandco - very happy for you! I understand a little how that is since for all of my adult life I've never been able to find a hobby I love and had control over. Love oil painting and Irish Whistle, but you need good teachers and lots of expensive lessons. Soaping is easy to learn, easy and free experienced sources of info (right here on SMF!) and you can perfect your skills and technique in the comfort of your own house.

And in roughly 24 hours you can hold and touch your creation. Oil painting...weeks!

I am prob one of the ones you see on here all the time lol. I spend so much time on here that I won't admit to how much time I spend lol. I am so thankful to have so much to learn from great folks that are so knowledgeable. It is definitely my fav forum. If we have a hurricane in my area and my cable goes out, I will prob freak lolol.

Whew! I'm not alone in this forum obsession! I feel so much better now. :smile: I find myself reading all the "newest threads", searching for topics I want to learn more about, going back to "newest threads" then feeling disappointed there aren't any new threads to read!

I really enjoy all the input on this forum and the very knowledgeable and wise soaping veterans who take their time to share wisdom and help troubleshoot. When I'm feeling like a soaping failure, I come to the forum and read about others that have had the same problem. I not only learn how to correct the issue, but feel better knowing it's not just me being my goofy self (although sometimes it's just that, lol!)

I am prob one of the ones you see on here all the time lol. I spend so much time on here that I won't admit to how much time I spend lol. I am so thankful to have so much to learn from great folks that are so knowledgeable. It is definitely my fav forum. If we have a hurricane in my area and my cable goes out, I will prob freak lolol.

OMG! That just happened to me! On Monday we had a major monsoon storm that dumped 3" of rain in 2 hours, a "microburst" that took out 40 yr old trees, big store front signs, plus massive flooding and tons of other destruction. Our power was out for 6 hours. All I could do was sit with a flashlight and candles, reading soaping books on my Kindle. I was really mad I couldn't make soap or surf the forum for a couple of days! So I get the "freak". I totally did it!

Got the loaves done. Thank you guys, sometimes I need a kick in the butt! Funny how making certain soaps is no longer fun for me and others are. Like Mark Twain said, " Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." Makes a lot of sense now.

I think we all find that time in life when nothing is really wrong, but you are just going through the motions. I am in my early 50's, have a wonderful husband and my special angel Jeepster; (cat) and a job that I enjoy... But, I felt like I was just going through my days with a lack of energy, apathy. My life was becoming a process and not a daily adventure. My DH had just signed up for some college extension courses and I was a little jealous because he was so excited. The shop is very busy; (we do sales, installation of avionics - navigation, communication and electronics in private aircraft), and he flies out the door in the morning with a smile on his face. He comes home finishes his dinner and starts doing his homework for school with the energy he had when we first met 15 yrs ago. I needed a change. I've always spent a great deal of time on the internet and one night I was following a tangent about the chemicals I was putting on my face, and found soap! I'm an "All-in" kind of person as well a perfectionist- so I either do it right, or don't do it at all. I kept researching, found this forum, the Guild and am totally addicted. All of my weekends are up in Michigan to finish my horrible choice of restoring a large area of wood floor in prep to sell my Dad's house. He passed last year on July 13 and it's really tough coming up here, both physically and emotionally. This forum and Group have meant the world to me. Between my books, Saponifier subscription, Guild resources and my journal with my soaping questions, I have almost always found my answers here. Also, the longer I have stayed and read, the support from the Membership is unique and embracing. The patience and the advice is honest, heart-felt and genuine. This group is like a collective best friend for soap. Sorry to be so sappy but I really mean it. On a soapy note though, it's time to finally get started! I have placed my orders, got my dollar store list ready and anxiously await the UPS man. I've written out my steps, laminated my safety sheet and know I will be nervous as the dickens when I put my new stick blender in hand. But I know I will have the friendship of this group to share my successes and failures.... eh learning experiences with. So, long-winded as always, (me), Ellacho, my MP artist hero, that's why I am always here.

I too have been a soaping for a while but just started obsessively reading this forum. Mostly to get out of packaging. I wish I could just make the soap and some soap packaging fairy would come and lable cured soaps while I sleep.

In addition to my regular job, I do transcription from home. I always keep a tab open, with SMF on it, so when I need to clear my head, I can hop over, see what's new, and of course, I can gaze at soap pics. Ahhhhh! Then I'm refreshed, and can go back to work. :smile: I'm not a social media person....I'd much rather peruse the forums here!

Got the loaves done. Thank you guys, sometimes I need a kick in the butt! Funny how making certain soaps is no longer fun for me and others are. Like Mark Twain said, " Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do." Makes a lot of sense now.

I am glad that you finished making the soaps!!! :razz:

I too have been a soaping for a while but just started obsessively reading this forum. Mostly to get out of packaging. I wish I could just make the soap and some soap packaging fairy would come and lable cured soaps while I sleep.

I agree, packaging and labeling are harder than making soap itself.

I used to be here all the time and heard the same complaints from my family, Ellacho. Now I set the timer on my stove for 30 mins. and drag myself away when it dings. I hate that ding! :sad:

I know what you mean. My second daughter tells me I must do all the chores first before I come on here. Sometimes I don't know which one of us is the mother and daughter!:p

I think we all find that time in life when nothing is really wrong, but you are just going through the motions. I am in my early 50's, have a wonderful husband and my special angel Jeepster; (cat) and a job that I enjoy... But, I felt like I was just going through my days with a lack of energy, apathy. My life was becoming a process and not a daily adventure. My DH had just signed up for some college extension courses and I was a little jealous because he was so excited. The shop is very busy; (we do sales, installation of avionics - navigation, communication and electronics in private aircraft), and he flies out the door in the morning with a smile on his face. He comes home finishes his dinner and starts doing his homework for school with the energy he had when we first met 15 yrs ago. I needed a change. I've always spent a great deal of time on the internet and one night I was following a tangent about the chemicals I was putting on my face, and found soap! I'm an "All-in" kind of person as well a perfectionist- so I either do it right, or don't do it at all. I kept researching, found this forum, the Guild and am totally addicted. All of my weekends are up in Michigan to finish my horrible choice of restoring a large area of wood floor in prep to sell my Dad's house. He passed last year on July 13 and it's really tough coming up here, both physically and emotionally. This forum and Group have meant the world to me. Between my books, Saponifier subscription, Guild resources and my journal with my soaping questions, I have almost always found my answers here. Also, the longer I have stayed and read, the support from the Membership is unique and embracing. The patience and the advice is honest, heart-felt and genuine. This group is like a collective best friend for soap. Sorry to be so sappy but I really mean it. On a soapy note though, it's time to finally get started! I have placed my orders, got my dollar store list ready and anxiously await the UPS man. I've written out my steps, laminated my safety sheet and know I will be nervous as the dickens when I put my new stick blender in hand. But I know I will have the friendship of this group to share my successes and failures.... eh learning experiences with. So, long-winded as always, (me), Ellacho, my MP artist hero, that's why I am always here.

I was thinking about your comment on the way to work today... I enjoyed reading your comment along with others. I'm a bit like you in some ways. I'm a perfectionist, and either I put my all in or I don't even start.

I am honored to be your MP hero(blushing).But I have learned all my soaping from other great soapers too. If you have any questions about any of my MP soaps, please do not hesitate to ask me. Love to help you!

I will post some of my favorite MP soap photos for you :).

I'm an all nighter usually (I work 3rd shift) but still try to get out of bed by 1pm lol Although I usually only work the weekends when the hubby is home for my son. I AM here most of the day...I tell you I'm addicted HEHE Even the hubby thinks you guys are going to get sick of me (I posted about that). But you guys are SO helpful I can't get my butt off here. Although I was off most of the day today and got dishes done and some laundry AND got my soap stuff ready to be put into my new soap room :D YAY I just got on here about 3 hours ago after I got to work (I think) Who know, maybe i"m in denial and I have been here earlier too! LOLOL :clap:

I'm an auditor so most of my work is sitting and waiting for the darn computers to do THEIR thing...so I figured I may as well make good use of my time :D And it sure goes by fast when your on this forum ;)

I'm in here most every day spending my time editing, merging , deleting spam and moving posts to their correct forum, so if you can all save me some time please by posting in the correct space, watching the language and replying to more than one person on the one post that would be great. Also, if your replying to the above post there is no need to quote it, that just adds to the size of your post.

Back