What have you read and what are you reading?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I loved outlander by Diana galbadon, one of my favourite books ever, I tried to read the rest of the series though and it left me a bit cold. Nothing lived up to the first book. I got halfway through drums of autumn and gave up.

I read urban fantasy mostly, but I am a really eclectic reader. I am currently reading Skin Game by Jim Butcher. It is really good! My other favorite authors are:

JD Robb
Laurell K. Hamilton
Charlaine Harris
Kim Harrison
Ilona Andrews
JK Rowling(Harry Potter series, not the new stuff)
Robert A. Heinlein
Anne McCaffrey
Kevin Hearne
Patricia Briggs
Tanya Huff

Well, you'll get no booing from me, because I read mostly non-fiction, too.
:razz: History especially. That's always been a favorite subject of mine. One of the more entertaining historical books I've finished reading was "Extraordinary Popular Delusions & The Madness of Crowds" by Charles Mackay. It was penned 173 years ago in 1841. It's a pretty large book- 728 pages, not including the index, but it's extremely interesting and highly entertaining (at least the parts that are not so tragic)- and a huge testament to the adage that no matter how much things change, people still remain the same. Although the mass movements and the latest crazes and silly fads that make absolutely no sense are different from those of 173 years ago, we still get duped and/or drawn in and carried away by them just like they did.

IrishLass :)

That sounds like an interesting read, IrishLass! I love to find older books that have interesting subjects like that. Also, at one time several years ago I was on a search for the oldest thesaurus I could find. 1854 was the furthest back that I found.

And lenarenee, I just started reading the Little House series to my son. He loves them and it's interesting to re-read them as an adult now too :)

I read urban fantasy mostly, but I am a really eclectic reader. I am currently reading Skin Game by Jim Butcher. It is really good! My other favorite authors are:

JD Robb
Laurell K. Hamilton
Charlaine Harris
Kim Harrison
Ilona Andrews
Robert A. Heinlein
Anne McCaffrey
Kevin Hearne
Patricia Briggs
Tanya Huff

I got really into the Laurell K. Hamilton vampire killer series for a while. I can't remember which book I got to but I remember at some point it just got to be too much. Really enjoyed the series till then. :)

Well, you'll get no booing from me, because I read mostly non-fiction, too.
:razz: History especially. That's always been a favorite subject of mine. One of the more entertaining historical books I've finished reading was "Extraordinary Popular Delusions & The Madness of Crowds" by Charles Mackay. It was penned 173 years ago in 1841. It's a pretty large book- 728 pages, not including the index, but it's extremely interesting and highly entertaining (at least the parts that are not so tragic)- and a huge testament to the adage that no matter how much things change, people still remain the same. Although the mass movements and the latest crazes and silly fads that make absolutely no sense are different from those of 173 years ago, we still get duped and/or drawn in and carried away by them just like they did.

It's free on Amazon for Kindle but is not illustrated. Is the illustrated print version worth it? Some of the free Kindle products are not very well done. I'm tempted though.
EDIT: Not complete. 402 pages. Will look at others for more complete version.

Last edited:

JD Robb
Laurell K. Hamilton
Charlaine Harris
Kim Harrison
Ilona Andrews
Robert A. Heinlein
Anne McCaffrey
Kevin Hearne
Patricia Briggs
Tanya Huff

Have you tried Faith Hunter? Her Jane Yellowrock series is really good too.

I'm listening to Patricia Briggs' Hunting Ground currently. My commute sucks, so I do a lot of audio books. Jim Butcher's Skin Game is next up. I love his books. I'm also reading Rick Riordan's House of Hades (physical book), but having a hard time getting into it. For some reason I'm not finding this series as good as his others.

I read a lot of Science Fiction and Mysteries, but also random non-fiction. I'm on an e-mail list for free and cheap Kindle books and have lost track of how many freebies I have. I pretty much only read before bed these days so I don't devour books like I used to unless I'm listening to them.

I pretty much only read before bed these days so I don't devour books like I used to unless I'm listening to them.

I used to read before bed but soon found I couldn't sleep unless I did. Then I found that after a page or two it was ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. So much for reading in bed. :cry:

Pure escapism - hilarious - The Storm Surge series by Tim Dorsey. Storm is a good serial killer - only kills bad guys in a creative way. You get a bit of old Florida history and lots of quirky Florida characters. "Florida Roadkill" is the first but all are a hoot.

Last edited:
Normally I adore gardening books and any how to manuals I can get my hands on. (Strange I am aware) But a gf of mine coerced me into reading J.R. Wards Brotherhood of the black dagger series. A complete chick book S-T-E-A-M-Y! Not my normal read, but they were a nice break from reality

It's free on Amazon for Kindle but is not illustrated. Is the illustrated print version worth it? Some of the free Kindle products are not very well done. I'm tempted though.
EDIT: Not complete. 402 pages. Will look at others for more complete version.

I have the illustrated print version published by Three Rivers Press, which is a trademark of Random House. Including the index, it has a total of 740 pages (728 apart from the index), and contains the entire original work. I just noticed that Amazon was selling some versions that contain only certain chapters instead of the whole thing, so just be sure of what you're buying. The modern copyright of the copy in my possession dates from 1980 with the forward written by Andrew Tobias.

Although the illustrated engravings are kinda cool from a historical perspective in that they date from the 1841 and 1852 editions, there's actually not a whole lot of them- only 9 or 10 in the entire book. In my opinion, if you can't find an illustrated copy, you're really not missing out on anything.

Have you tried Faith Hunter? Her Jane Yellowrock series is really good too.

I'm listening to Patricia Briggs' Hunting Ground currently. My commute sucks, so I do a lot of audio books. Jim Butcher's Skin Game is next up. I love his books. I'm also reading Rick Riordan's House of Hades (physical book), but having a hard time getting into it. For some reason I'm not finding this series as good as his others.

I read a lot of Science Fiction and Mysteries, but also random non-fiction. I'm on an e-mail list for free and cheap Kindle books and have lost track of how many freebies I have. I pretty much only read before bed these days so I don't devour books like I used to unless I'm listening to them.

I tried Faith Hunter once, and just could not get into that at that point in my life. Will try again someday soon.
Any possibility you could get me a link for that email list? My Kindle is not nearly full enough. :)

Normally I adore gardening books and any how to manuals I can get my hands on. (Strange I am aware) But a gf of mine coerced me into reading J.R. Wards Brotherhood of the black dagger series. A complete chick book S-T-E-A-M-Y! Not my normal read, but they were a nice break from reality

Oooohh! I was hooked on those for two years...read and reread. I agree; a nice break from reality...the diversion helped me through a tough time.

Mmmmm....Rehvenge. I remember him....:wink:

Lol I know just read the latest one of those released this year. My guilty pleasure.. Shades of Grey have nothing on the black dagger books.

I just read the first black dagger book, I liked the bits with wrath and Beth in, but the side storyline with billy riddle and mr x was difficult to pole through. I'm normally an acid fantasy fan but it didn't captivate me. Maybe I will try the next book anyway.

I tried Faith Hunter once, and just could not get into that at that point in my life. Will try again someday soon.
Any possibility you could get me a link for that email list? My Kindle is not nearly full enough. :)

Here's the web site http://www.pixelofink.com/ . I've found some pretty good books that way. Even one on soap making!

I just read the first black dagger book, I liked the bits with wrath and Beth in, but the side storyline with billy riddle and mr x was difficult to pole through. I'm normally an acid fantasy fan but it didn't captivate me. Maybe I will try the next book anyway.

Yep the mr x is a bit distracting. But all in all the books get better as they go, maybe because you are more invested in the characters. Like I said I am not normally a romance type chick.. I typically like my fiction terrifying and filled with horror. :) I was just happy to have a series to read that my friends didn't cringe when I talked about them

The first book of the series, with Wrath and Bess is the most "gentle"...or more like a standard romance. Each book after (especially after the first three) becomes more focused on the troubles of the vampire race (like the Mr. X thing), and less about romance. Romance becomes almost secondary. So you might not enjoy those. The 3rd book - with the character named Hollywood, is might interest you...I thought that was one of the more gentle ones of the series.

Back