Emergency :-0

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I stupidly went and put way too much castor oil in and then came back to the laptop and recalculated:

Lipids
Lipid Amount
in oz Percent
Olive 9.7 26.98
Coconut 76° 9.7 26.98
Avocado 6.5 18.08
Castor 5.25 14.60
Shea Butter 4.8 13.35
Total Weight 35.95
Fluid (water) needed:
10.066 - 13.3015 fluid oz

should this work or will it be too harsh on the skin? I'm at a crucial point where I can add stuff but can't take away eeeep

please let me know if I should bother increasing the amount of the other oils or just to risk it....14% castor does seem nasty

It shouldn't be nasty. It may take a little longer to harden up but I use 15% castor in my shampoo bars all the time and they're nice......just very bubbly.

Castor won't make it harsh at all.

oh cool! at the last minute I did bit of recalculation and added another 3oz of olive oil and hoped for the best. I read in different places that castor can cause irritation. We shall see we shall see.

I've done a few soaps with 15% castor (combined with olive oil and shea butter) and they came out really nice. Awesome lather. Castor is conditioning.

It looks good to me, but what the hizzle do I know?! :D (Can ya tell I have teenagers?) I always use castor and that much should be okay. I love avocado butter in soaps too. Yummo.
Looking forward to your pics!

I was kind of dreading today but the results were great and I even tried a tiny piece, got a REAL lather. I can't wait a month! Beer was used instead of water and my new slilcon mould works a treat.

The first thing I noticed was the kind of slimey texture along the sides which you can kind of see in the first pic. I've had this sluggy slimey look before and always wondered why it's there, what is it?

18042009385.jpg

And notice the reddish brown nutty bits:
18042009388.jpg

see?

take a closer look...
18042009387-1.jpg

I don't know what caused it but I think it adds character. It smells gorgeous, kind of nutty, kind of cakey. You should definitely try this recipe and you won't be disappointed! :D

I'm puzzled about the reddish brown spots, but it look BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job. You'll get that kind of lather with even less castor (mine always lather like a mutha) so save yourself some money for next time. Also, I always get that slimey-side thing if I use silicone molds. I have no idea why. Never happens in my wood mold. I get partial gels in silicone more often than I like too.

Great looking soap...love it!

soap looks great, I love the speckles! :D Is that the silicone mould you bought of ebay, I was looking at them, would you recommend?

I'm thinking that the speckles may have something to do with the over heated Palmarosa E/O. I put it in the oven on the lowest setting that was nowhere near low enough. I read that it's good to warm the additives before mixing them in. The E/O wasn't boiling but it wasn't exactly warm. I could be totally wrong though *shrugs*

The new silicon mould is FAB! no need to line it and slips out so easily. I do recommend!

Latest posts

Back