My first candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gee, I never would have thought of all this technicalities.... I make sure my wick encompasses at least 1 inch in diameter, and that is it, off I go!

That's a great rule of thumb for pillars, and there is usually no problem with that.

In containers however, because the container holds the heat in, even in wide mouth containers, by the middle to end of the burn you can have a way to hot candle. The melt pool can be too deep, causing the outside of the container to be too hot, and in some (very) rare, but (very) real cases, the glass can get so hot it can shatter, causing a potential disaster.
It's why we chandlers stress testing so much. It seems like it should be easy, but in reality, that's not necessarily true.
And every variable; scent type, wax type, wick type, etc., can (sometimes drastically) change the way a candle burns.

You’re candles look lovely.

A friend bought me a candle in a small milk bottle with a tight top (much tighter than a mason jar-the sharp was like the one shown but NOT that candle maker). It was $25. And it didn’t burn for more than a few minutes st a time before the melted wax put the flame out.

So annoying. Others must have complained too because the store that sold them discontinued buying them and the candle maker shut up shop (all within a few weeks!)

Testing is important when selling a product.
So glad yours worked.

D91212C1-EFAD-4517-B0C5-DB124B44093F.jpeg

And it didn’t burn for more than a few minutes st a time before the melted wax put the flame out.

So annoying. Others must have complained too because the store that sold them discontinued buying them and the candle maker shut up shop (all within a few weeks!)

That's what happens when people think they can make a quick buck by making candles, but not really knowing the proper way to make them. I see it ALL THE TIME - especially around the holidays.

I'm glad DragonGirl's candles burned nice also. A win is always encouraging. :)

i am sooo proud of you !!!!!!!1 I also started candle making and i am impressed with my results, i made some Eucalyptus Ivy 6 oz candles in cute victorian Jars and they smell wonderful, i am actually burning one now and my bathroom smells amazing! Continued success !

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.JPG

Back