For the candle impaired, wax melts??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While I'd really love to make myself some Christmas candles, I just don't have the patience to do all the extended trial and error. (I make a batch or two, and give up)

So what about wax melts? Are they less picky = easier success?? I have 5 lbs of palm and 5 lbs of GW 444 sitting around that needs to be used up.

Palm will take scent easier, and generally speaking you can put a higher scent load in wax melts than you do with candles, because there is no wick to contend with.
I've never made soy melts, and I believe 444 is a container wax, so may be too soft, but if you were to mix a bit of palm with it, that could help with the hardness of the melt. (but I just don't know as I don't work with soy, at all)

Where the "pickiness" so to speak comes into play, is the melter you use. Like Goldilocks, and her adventures, you will find some melters are too hot (burn off the scent much quicker than it should), some are too cool (doesn't give off enough scent unless you are right near it) and some are 'just right' and scent up entire areas for long lengths of time.

Thank you jc!

I have an electric and candle warmer; are they usually very different levels of heat? And are you saying that the temp at which I add the fo and pour is now far less important because those are factors are what affect wick performance? Melts can be almost as simple as melt, mix fo, mold? (Except for the temp of the warmers)

Yes, 444 is container wax. I thought I'd start with 25 - 30% added palm, yes? 8% fo?

And are you saying that the temp at which I add the fo and pour is now far less important because those are factors are what affect wick performance?

No, not necessarily.

I know with soy when you pour can determine the look of the wax, the same with palm.
To get the crystallization effect of the palm you want to pour hot. However, to avoid the bumbs of soy I've heard (but have no experience with it) you want to pour cool.

If it were me, and I was mixing the soy with the palm, I would probably aim to add the FO at 180, and then pour at around 155. But as I don't have experience with soy, I'm not sure.

Maybe someone who uses that combo of wax can come along and be of a bit more help.

I am new to candle making as well. I tried making a candle, and although it turned out, the scent was not there once lit.
So I decided to try melts. I find them to be much easier to make. I just made my first batch last night, using 100% soy.
I have the melt burning now, and it does smell good. We'll see how long it lasts, but so far I enjoy making these.
The only trial and error I have run in to so far, is trying different scents. I have been using FO's, and they seem to be working better than the EO's.

Here is a picture of my 1st batch.
https://flic.kr/p/E1kA5P

I am new to candle making as well. I tried making a candle, and although it turned out, the scent was not there once lit.
So I decided to try melts. I find them to be much easier to make. I just made my first batch last night, using 100% soy.
I have the melt burning now, and it does smell good. We'll see how long it lasts, but so far I enjoy making these.
The only trial and error I have run in to so far, is trying different scents. I have been using FO's, and they seem to be working better than the EO's.

That's a gorgeous blue color too!

I never tried wax melts after all because I learned they still require so much testing and that each burner aka: hot plate, candle, light bulb, gives different results.

I've started working with coconut wax and wooden wicks instead!

No, not necessarily.

I know with soy when you pour can determine the look of the wax, the same with palm.
To get the crystallization effect of the palm you want to pour hot. However, to avoid the bumbs of soy I've heard (but have no experience with it) you want to pour cool.

If it were me, and I was mixing the soy with the palm, I would probably aim to add the FO at 180, and then pour at around 155. But as I don't have experience with soy, I'm not sure.

Maybe someone who uses that combo of wax can come along and be of a bit more help.
yes. that is about right. I use soy but i use 464. I add my fo at 175-180 and I pour at 135-140 for melts though, I usually pour hotter. Melts are easier but you still have to be conscious of your temps. Look at the characteristics and properties of your wax then determine from there.

Latest posts

Back