Happy Solar Eclipse!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm too old, or IDK. I just don't get it the excitement. The expressions they've come up with .... "Totality???" Wasn't it called a total eclipse in the day?

Now total saponification - that get my motor running!!

Clouds passed over right during our peak viewing time. The pinhole "cameras" worked perfectly, though.
126ceb3baf9561582c2e4977a9fc82ba.jpg

Maybe I'm too old, or IDK. I just don't get it the excitement. The expressions they've come up with .... "Totality???" Wasn't it called a total eclipse in the day?

Now total saponification - that get my motor running!!

Totality simply refers to how much of the sun or moon gets covered during an eclipse. This was a total eclipse, which means that totality reached 100% if you were directly under it. To either side, totality drops from 100% until you finally get far enough north or south that you don't see anything at all.

We had partial cloud cover here, with the thickest clouds of course being right where the sun was in the sky. :???:

Wow, you guys are jaded! Go lick some batteries or soap batter to perk up :twisted:

I didn't get the total eclipse here, but boy it was eerie when there was just a sliver of sun. Clear skies but it was dark like just before the severe rainstorms we've been getting, and the air was totally still and birds were acting like nothing was going on. Seeing the sliver of sun through glasses was pretty awesome, but it was the strange atmosphere that really got me.

I took my 5 year old daughter out to see it. She said that I was lying, that it didn't look any darker than normal (we had ~90% here). We even looked through the glasses....she said it was boring. :headbanging:

I thought it was pretty cool.

I was playing with a pinhole thing and it wasn't until about the 50% mark it got to the "cool" factor for me. When I thought the best was over (we only got to 80%), I walked outside and oooooooo the shadows up front were all cresents! That was cool!

Now, would I drive 12 hours to see it? Nah LOL.

Decided I liked the sun at the 70% point, my skin didn't try to escape when I walked outside into the sunlight. 80% looked like a desk lamp light instead of sunlight so too much. :bunny:

Connie, the lady who works with me, thought I was crazy, puttering back and forth through the shop and outdoors with the hope of seeing the eclipse. We had too much cloud cover to really see anything -- the clouds diffused the light way too much -- even though my part of Iowa got to 90% + totality. The sunlight turned that odd gray/blue color that happens in an eclipse, but that was the most exciting thing we were treated to.

When I was in grad school in the early 90s, there was a partial eclipse on a nicely sunny day. The dapples of light coming through the leaves of the street trees all had moon-sized bites taken out of them. That was cool.

Happy solar eclipse, the BBC has coverage in Oregon and awesome, just like our total solar eclipse in Philippines last 1988.

I was across the river at the other regional university. We didn't get quite so long as the Dale, but our skies were totally clear and totality was both eerie and BEAUTIFUL.

Glad you had a good spot! Fortunately we didn't go to Carbondale, they had clouds and therefore only saw 10 seconds or so of totality. We were a few miles south of Harrisburg, had no troubling clouds during totality. "Eerie and beautiful" is a good description!

Back