SMF November 2016 Soap Challenge - Creative Colour Challenge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
Welcome to this month’s soap challenge. I am going to try something a little different this month. I always struggle with choosing colour when trying to make my soaps, I always tend to copy other people’s colour schemes or use palettes from places like design seeds. However there are many tools available, used by designers in all different fields to create colour schemes for their designs.

This month we are going to try using an interactive colour wheel to create our own unique colour palettes from scratch and then make a soap using those palettes. There are a lot of free interactive colour wheels around, so you can use any one that you find easiest, just search the web for one. The one I like best can be found here - https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

There are several different ways of using the colour wheel to pick out your colour scheme, they are called colour harmonies and you can read more detail about them here http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-harmonies.htm

Complimentary – Two colours that are completely opposite each other on the wheel
Monochromatic – Different shades of a single colour
Analogous – Shades that are next to each other around the edge of the wheel
Split Complimentary – Two shades adjacent to the compliment colour
Triadic – Colours that are evenly spaced around the wheel
Tetradic – Four colours arranged in two complimentary pairs

It’s really very simple, so please don’t be put off by it seeming complicated, the colour wheel I have linked to just lets you click different buttons to see different colour harmonies for your original start colour. Start with one specific colour that you like and find that on the colour wheel, then choose the colour harmony that you want. You can then further refine your scheme by unchecking the lock box under the colour palette and making minor adjustments to the placing of the dots. You will then have your colour palette. Take a picture of your palette and create your soap using those colours. Also let us know which colour harmony you chose to use.
You can use any design you like, and you can use any number of colours or just a single colour if you choose a monochromatic harmony.

Below is a video of me talking through the interactive colour wheel and also a video of me making the example soap

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R3qpQjWRo4[/ame]

Any queries at all then just let me know.

Please read all the rules below before participating.

Last edited:
Welcome to October's SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1.The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This months voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge all about colour and designing your own colour palette.

SMF Challenge Specific Rules
· You must use an interactive colour wheel to create a colour palette for your soap design Here is the one I used - https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/
· Your colour palette must contain at least two colours or at least two different shades of the same colour.
· You must use the colour palette to create your soap design and match the colours as best you can
· You can design your soap however you wish and use any kind of mould.
· For your entry, you must show a picture of your colour palette and at least one bar of your finished soap.
· Please tell us a little about the process behind choosing your colours, which colour harmony did you use?

Challenge Entry Thread Opens November 14, 2016.
Challenge Entry Thread Closes November 24, 2016.
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens immediately the 24th.
Winners Announced November 30, 2016.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on October 14, 2016 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)

Thank you Teresa, I know the challenge is a bit different and i've not been very active on the forum lately so I was worried no one would want to enter!

Saponista, I love this month's free style challenge. Your soap turned out lovely. Those are my favorite combination; however, I substitute gray for the black. My ceilings are gray and I've got lime, orange and eggplant colored walls in different rooms if my house. I tend to use those tertiary colors in my soap quite often.

1. TeresaT - I am ALL about the color!!!
2. KCHaystack - RAINBOWS!!!! Probably not but still
3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!

3. doriettefarm - Freestyle color challenge? I'm totally in . . . hopefully I won't make anyone's eyes bleed!
4. dibbles - Going to check out the FOs for a little inspiration

5. BattleGnome - I had a plan for Christmas presents... I may change it now

6. crispysoap - so many colours, so little time

7. Guspuppy - color me in! (sorry for the excessively bad pun)

1.TeresaT - I am ALL about the color!!!
8. So cool! I've been wanting an interactive color wheel challenge!

8. Earlene -So cool! I've been wanting an interactive color wheel challenge!
9. Misschief - time to buy more colorants!

10. Mx6inpenn - have to pick which color to start with.....

5. BattleGnome - I had a plan for Christmas presents..I may change it now
10. Mx6inpenn - have to pick which color to start with.....
11. Penelope Jane - colour, colour everywhere ;)

Back