I guess simple is better....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I have a recipe that I use 90% of the time, very basic OO, CO and castor oil, that I learned years ago was a favorite among friends and family.
So I decided to read some posts, watch some videos and try a few "new" recipes. I made soaps with shea butter, avocado oil, lard, palm oil, mango butter and a few others. After handing out soaps left and right....the consensus was....the original was still the favorite. Go figure...lol. Anyone else have this happen?

+1 Seawolfe.

My core recipes include lard, tallow (new to me), olive, coconut, palm, and castor--usually 3 or 4 of those per recipe.
My additives are honey, salt, sugar, and sodium lactate (usually one sweet, one salt per recipe, but not always even that).
I can detect the differences using each one of the above items, but can't really see it when I've used more exotic things. Or if I do see it, I don't care for it.
I'm also a fan of "simple is best." Find the perfect basic recipe for you, and a lot of other people will love it.

Stacyspy I have the same expeierence, my basic recipe is just like yours, just with almond oil to. This and a very old olive oil only batch (I think it was more than two years when I found it and gave some away)
Have gotten more rave reviews than anything else I've ever done.

My core ingredients are: Lard/Tallow, CO, OO, Castor Oil

I have tried, but see no additional benefit from: almond oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, lanolin, beeswax, jojoba oil...and I can't remember the rest...

Simpler IS better as far as I am concerned.

I have a recipe that I use 90% of the time, very basic OO, CO and castor oil, that I learned years ago was a favorite among friends and family.
So I decided to read some posts, watch some videos and try a few "new" recipes. I made soaps with shea butter, avocado oil, lard, palm oil, mango butter and a few others. After handing out soaps left and right....the consensus was....the original was still the favorite. Go figure...lol. Anyone else have this happen?

I agree. the KISS concept............always a ringer.:p

Me too. Four oil soap all the way, although I sometimes use more oils if I need to get through a supply of something. I have no idea why I have it, but I came across a 50 pound box, yes FIFTY POUNDS of palm kernel flakes that I do not recall ordering. I had never even used it before! So now I am adding some in every soap I make, lowing my CO, so I can use it up. I have some cocoa butter that I have to use up too so that is currently getting added in in small quantities, but I much prefer a simple recipe.

Latest posts

Back