Salt bars...what size of salt grain do I get???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thing happens with walnut shells. I always cringe when I see an exfoliating scrub with walnut shells. Those little stinkers are very sharp and can cause microtears in your skin.

I can't use products with tree nuts in them, be they the nut or the byproduct. So I would not have known this. Thanks.

I only use fine grain salt in salt bars. Anything larger will scrape the bejeezus out of your skin. If doing brine soap I imagine you could use any size thou finer would dissolve more quickly.

Also, this is an old thread.

Have you made a recipe like that? How did it compare to a "regular" salt bar?

I'm not a huge fan of salt bars and I've only made one with pickling salt. I do the process I described to make salt for popcorn. The rapid boil makes very, very small crystals and I have to think it would be great for a salt bar.

I'm not a huge fan of salt bars and I've only made one with pickling salt. I do the process I described to make salt for popcorn. The rapid boil makes very, very small crystals and I have to think it would be great for a salt bar.
Before Sea Salt became popular, early 60's my aunt would bring back sea water from Catalina, when they cruised over there, boil it down to make sea salt to cook with. She was well ahead of the times for eating health foods and still passed from cancer at 51.

That's intriguing - I'm going to try that.

I must admit I like the thick shaving cream like lather from a salt bar, but I don't get that "dip in the ocean" feel so many talk about. I don't care for the "fuzzy" look of salt bars either but it's not a big deal. I do make a lot simply because one of my boys absolutely loves them. He goes through about 1 a week because of his fastidious hygiene habits + attends college in a state with lots and lots of rain to feed his showers!

Back