Emergency! Please help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapwn

Reaction score

I decided to make the Shampoo Bar today with the only difference of using Sunflower seed oil instead of soya been oil.

I added one spoon of sugar in the water, then added the lye, diluted everything, then added the lye to the oils. I reached trace easily with a hand mixer as always when making cold process. Then I added the soap in a double boiler to cook it. I cooked it for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I did the zap test and it was negative (I think).

Then I added Gardenia FO and I put the mixture in the mold.

The hours are passing and the soap does not harden!

It remains a green jelly thing. It should have hardened by now.

I don’t know why this is happening and I don’t know what to do.

Should I continue cooking the soap or not ???

DSC00625.jpg

Note that this is a particular FO that accelerates very very much when making cold process. It accelerates so much, that if I put it in trace, the soap will break in small pieces before putting it in the mold. This is why I hot processed this soap, because I wanted to use this FO that I like very much.

Could this have slow down now the saponification process?

did you run it through a lye calc after subbing the sunflower?
That's the only thing I can think of. My HP does still take about 8 hours in the mold before I can even think of unmolding. Because I have the time I usually let it stay in the same amount of time as my CP and just leave it in overnight and cut the next day.

ETA - now that the pic comes up, it looks fine, you may just need a bit more patience.

did you run it through a lye calc after subbing the sunflower?

Yes, I did. The lye is correct.

ETA - now that the pic comes up, it looks fine, you may just need a bit more patience.

Ok. I will way until tomorrow morning. But if it was CP it would have harden for sure by now.

Thank you very much jcandleattic!

You could pop it in the fridge to harden it quicker, if you want to..

You could pop it in the fridge to harden it quicker, if you want to..

I thought about it but I didn't know if it could be done.

Now that you say so I am going to put it in the fridge right away.

Seven hours passed and it is still in a jelly condition. This is not normal :shifty:

yup, read that before i erased my post. sorry, no idea. good luck.

It is actually starting to harden in the fridge.

Great advice!

I don’t think it will soften again as soon as I take it out of the fridge :rolleyes:

Four days passed and the bars are too soft to be used.
sad-smiley-047.gif

I cannot understand what went wrong. :thumbdown:

Is there any way to harden these bars?
Should I just wait as if it was CP soap? Is there any hope that it will harden with time or it would be better to through them away?
sad-smiley-044.gif

Latest posts

Back