How soft is 'soft'?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, newbie here! I started off with MP and HP soaping, and those all came out functional. Not the most pretty of soaps, but good for a scrub. I decided to try CP because I wanted to see the difference in texture between HP and CP.

My recipe was as follows:

8oz Olive Oil
8oz Canola Oil
2oz Hempseed Oil
2oz Sunflower Seed Oil

2.5oz Lye
6.6oz Water

The recipe said it would be about 5% superfatting.

When people mention soft bars around the forum, I assume it means a slimy, short-lasting bar, but my soap has been in the molds for three days now and still has the consistency of thick play-doh. Are the bars going to get any harder (as in, a normal bar of soap) or is this the epic Soft Bar that all these websites keep mentioning?

If it is, I've discovered the recipe for play-doh soap! Good, clean fun...

Hi, I am new to soaping but I put your values into Soapcalc for you and the hardness listed on your final product is an 11, normal range is 29-54.

Soap Bar Quality Suggested Range: your Recipie

Hardness 29 - 54, 11

Cleansing 12 - 22, 0

Conditioning 44 - 69, 87

Bubbly 14 - 46, 0

Creamy 16 - 48, 11

Iodine 41 - 70, 104

INS 136 - 165 78

Good luck, I hope someone more versed in soaping can give your more specifics,

Last edited:
I wonder if you did a water discount if it would help. I know castile bars are pretty soft (pure)
But I did a big discount on one of the batches and those things are like bricks x.x

It will harden eventually. Castile bars ( olive oil) take 6-9 montbs to harden and cure. If you don't mind waiting, if not add some hard oils such as coconut and palm.

Latest posts

Back