Greasy soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three_little_fishes

Reaction score
I got the tomato soap out of the mold and it still looks great. The sides of the loaf are really greasy feeling though and it still feels a little softer than my other soaps. Not like smooshy soft, I can just tell a little bit of a difference between it and my other soaps. This is my first time using cocoa butter and shea for a soap. I'm going to give it until tomorrow before I cut.

Anyway....greasy soap? Normal at times or no? I'll go find the recipe and post it on here too in case that's any help.

Recipe:

2 oz cocoa butter
10 oz coconut oil
25 oz olive oil
4 oz palm oil
3 oz shea butter
13.5 oz water
6.1 oz lye

3 tbs tomato paste added at thin trace or before
3 oz orange EO + 1 oz water

Sometimes with high Olive Oil content, I find that can happen, especially if it starts to overheat a little (sugar in tomatoes). Usually I just unmold and let it sit out in the air for a while and it's fine by the next day. As long as its just greasy and not zapping (after 48 hours) and you didn't get separation in the mold, it will be fine.

Thanks! No separation at all and no zap. I have hope then! I'll cut in the morning and put it in the closet that never gets closed anymore. This house was made for a soap maker. Plenty of HUGE closets with wire shelving! :mrgreen: I didn't even think about the sugar in the tomatoes!

Just my normal ash on the corners....grrrr! I'll work on that problem later. Not really a big deal since it's always just the corners so it's on the end pieces anyway.

Thought I would bring up this topic, because I had this happen for the 1st time. My 1st question would be, does lemongrass EO have a tendency to do this? I do scent somewhat strong, but still less than 1 0z per lbs. Never have had a problem with other batches possibly overheating, which I heard can be the culprit. I will list my recipe. Note, there was no puddle of oils, the bars when cut were just slick and oily feeling? Also, no titanium dioxide or colorants were added to this lemongrass batch. Ideas, concerns? Thanks! 44% olive oil, 22% coconut, 19% palm, 8% hemp seed, 5% castor! super fat 5. Percentages rounded.

Your measurements might be off, it might be your scales (batteries dying) or you might even measured some oils twice, you never know. Or it can just be soap gremlins. ;)
I had a case of soap gremlins few weeks ago. Scenario: usual recipe, however, new FO and new mold (wooden but quite thin).
Soap traced fine, no ricing, no acceleration, gone into the mold, took ages to gel and when unmolded in the morning had a greasy feel allover while being quite soft. Oil didn't have a fragrance, so definitely not FO that was oozing. I cut few slices off, and there were greasy streaks inside the soap as well, vertical ones, thin as maybe a toothpick, all over soap, from one end to the other end of loaf. I chopped it up, HP it, molded fine, cut it in the morning, still soft, and still greasy on hands. That has never happened with rebatched soap, so, I believe some of my measurements might be off.

I had really greasy soap when I took my 2nd batch out too (just on the outside) but mine was caused by the EO's I used and they separated when mixing and went right to a very thick trace. We poured it anyhow and that's what we ended up with...also tiny pockets of either grease or EO when we cut the bars. I got EO's from michaels but learned a good lesson there!

Interesting to add tomato to a soup, would have never thought of doing that. Hope it turns out great!

I always get that when I do CPOP not sure why!! My soap will stay oily on the outside. I don't think anyone can see my posts today. Maybe something wrong with my internet. Can someone tell me if they can see this so I don't feel like a crazy person? Or crazier than usual.

I always get that when I do CPOP not sure why!! My soap will stay oily on the outside. I don't think anyone can see my posts today. Maybe something wrong with my internet. Can someone tell me if they can see this so I don't feel like a crazy person? Or crazier than usual.

I can read your posts, don't worry. :)

Latest posts

Back