Minor Emergency

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFarmerlady

Reaction score
I was preparing to make a new batch. I have already made the lye water. Then I was moving the bowl with the oil into position and dropped the stupid thing. I don't have any extra oil or the money to buy any at this time. What do I do with the lye water? Can it be saved until payday? Or do I just need to dispose of it, and how?

With all the talk about masterbatching lye I am sure you can save it. I've saved for a 5 day period, as I had it mixed then could not make my soap til the next weekend. I just waited til it cooled then covered it so the water would not evaporate.

That IS a good thing! No need to buy a new bowl when you shop for oils! BTW, I understand. I'm out of one of my oils and don't get to go shopping til next weekend. Yes, after payday. Walmart is 40 miles one way!

I'd say save it, and when ready to use it put your container in a pan of warm water for a few minutes to bring it up to temp. I would not microwave it just because it might boil quickly if you walk away for even a few seconds. Please, please label it with EXACTLY the concentration ,

I would most definitely save it. Of course label it and put it safely out of reach. You could make some type of soap where you need the lye water to be at room temp like honey or beer soap....
Barb

If it's in a plastic container, it really needs to be the right kind. I don't have my notes with me so I'm not sure exactly which # of plastic it needs to be, but I know that empty laundry detergent bottles are safe so whatever number they are is what you should use. I think they're # 5 maybe . . . ? I mix my lye in an empty lard bucket - they are fine for mixing but not for storing. You could also store it in stainless steel, but I would not store lye in glass. Just my opinion - others may have more expertise.

I'm glad it was the oil and not the lye that you dropped! Sounds like you were visited by the soap gremlins. Please don't send them my way! :)

I put it in the fridge in the glass pitcher I made it in with a lid on it. Told DH what it was first so there wouldn't be any accidents.:crazy:

I put it in the fridge in the glass pitcher I made it in with a lid on it. Told DH what it was first so there wouldn't be any accidents.:crazy:

I wouldn't save lye in glass, since lye is known to etch glass which can cause breakage.
Also, if the lid for the glass isn't stainless steel or plastic, that could cause other problems as well.

Lye will etch stainless steel too over time. Plastic is really your best bet. Thanks for the suggestion of an old detergent bottle. Going to try that...

You could also just pour it down a slow drain, wait a little while then run the hot water for a minute to wash it out.

Back