No gel still soft?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
This is the first time I have not let my soap gel. Does it take longer to harden for no gel? This recipe if I let gel can come out of the mold in 10 hours. This has been in the mold for about 8 and is still soft soft soft. Just wanted to know if there was a difference.
Thanks for any info.

I just did my first non gell 2 days ago. I unmolded at 14 hours and cut. It was way too soon. my soap had bad drag lines from cutting and I wiped my cutter with every slice. I am no expert, but when you unmold, let it sit a while before cutting. Its 2 days old now and it finally is as hard as my gelled soaps when I first unmold. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here. I will be watching this post, but I don't plan on doing a non gelled soap again for a while.

The soonest I unmold my ungelled soap is 24 hours. I then let it sit in a loaf for 4 to 6 hours before I cut it. I usually wait about 48 hours before unmolding it. It is just that much softer. I like the creamier look, but longer to unmold and also longer to cure. My gelled soap is usually good to go after 4 weeks, ungelled at least 6. Hope this helps. I have only been soaping about 6 months, but I make around 2 batches a week so I have made quite a lot of mistakes, and learned a lot. There is a lot of wisdom here, others will know way more than me, and they are very generous about sharing their knowledge. Have fun and happy soaping.

Thanks for all the replies and info. I guess I'm just a gel type of woman :lol:

Same problem here.
I've finally got my technique right to avoid gel without the fridge but my soap is soft soft soft.
I've been unmoulding too early and getting little chunks pulling off the corner when I unmould (silicone).
The creamy look is lovely & is what I've been aspiring to achieve for some time but...... thinking I prefer my gelled soap now. :lol:

Latest posts

Back