Scenting options outside of EO's/FO's?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaSoaper

Reaction score
So I have read a lot about EO's and FO's and differing opinions about the safety of each. I actually use both...but was just wondering...are there any other options you could use for people that are just on the fence, or for people with sensitive skin who still would like some scent? (as opposed to just using unscented bars, since that's no fun!)

I was thinking that you could use a hydrosol to scent hp soap...so that the lye wouldn't destroy the delicate scent? But a hydrosol is water based and would make the soap take longer to dry?

I haven't really thought of any other methods to scent the soap...any thoughts? And this is purely just for my own curiosity...I know that there are people who have reactions to both eo's and fo's...so was just wondering if there were any other feasable options...thanks! :lol:

I have made some soaps without EOs or FOs but with additives like avocado puree, cucumber puree, honey, etc. They ended up very faintly scented. Like if you smell hard enough and you know it's there, you can detect it.

On balance, I prefer soaps scented with FOs and EOs.

Yah, I prefer scented ones too. I'm thinking I might stick a table outside on our covered back porch to mix the scent/colors in though. I don't like so much concentrated scent hanging out in the house. (eo's or fo's) It just seems too overpowering. So I'm going to start mixing/molding outside and see if that helps. Of course, they will come inside to cure... :wink:

jennikate said:
The lye monster is a problem for scents not EO or Fo I have found.

Ditto...
I've tried quadruple strength coffee with no real lasting effects.
Frankly I'd trust FO's that have been formulated for soap more than so called "natural" ingredients that you have to saturate the recipe with to get anything out of it.

Just be sure that the FO's ARE tested for soap and not just for candles etc. For FO's there are some that you need to use with caution... but you shouldn't put anything into soap without doing your research.

xyxoxy said:
jennikate said:
Just be sure that the FO's ARE tested for soap and not just for candles etc. For FO's there are some that you need to use with caution... but you shouldn't put anything into soap without doing your research.

What types of FO's do you need to use caution with? Just curious about this...and the ones I've tried are marked specifically for soap, so I'm good there. I really like the 3 I've gotten so far! Yesterday I mixed my fo and colorant outside and I noticed such a difference in the fragrance level in my house. You can still smell the soap I made last night, but it's not so overwhelmingly strong. Glad most of the fragrance smell stayed outside! :) I know it's just me though...

Ooops!
I meant to say that there are some EO's that you need to use caution with. But that's mostly a matter of being careful not to use too much as some EO's can sensitize or irritate your skin. There are some EO's that are also not recommended to be used by pregnant women and people undergoing chemotherapy. You should be able to find that info by searching the fragrance forums.

I generally think FO's are safe if used at the recommended percentages as they must go through lab testing. But I only buy FO's that say that they were tested for B&B products and are skin safe.

Back