Greasy Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Araseth

Reaction score
Hey all, I was so excited so I made another batch of soap. I changed the recipe slightly:
Coconut Oil:240g (30%)
Olive Oil Pomace: 560g (70%)
Water: 304g
Lye: 114g
Lavender Essential Oil: 5.6g
Left it 24 hours and unmolded and it is very soft and a lil greasy, could anybody tell me why it's like that? Have I made a mistake? Thanks :)

everything looks good in soap calc... i would attribute to one of 2things: the bar is relatively soft because of your high OO percentage and maybe just needed a little more time to set up. or, is it possible that it didn't come to a thick trace before you poured and you're dealing with a bit of separation?

Yes when I think about it it was a bit thin when I poured, if it is seperating does that mean this batch is no good?

Since your olive oil amount is so high, I would leave it alone for about a week and then feel it after that. Olive oil soaps can stay soft for quite a while. If it starts to separate it should be fairly obvious... if that is the case you may be able to HP it... it might be that you didn't reach trace with such a high olive amt.

Back