Oil base temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felgie

Reaction score
I hear that the lye solution have to be under 60 degree before mixing it up with oils. Do i need to heat up my oil base too before combining the oil with lye solution? Will the temperature of the base oil effect the final bar?? Thanks!

My lye is room temp when I soap. My oils, because I use lard, CO and shea most time I heat just until clear. I don't take temperatures. If you choose to take temps, oils at 90-100 or so is pretty good. Too hot of a mixture and you trace time will be quicker.

I'm not sure where you are located, and just wanted to clarify: were you referring to the lye solution being under 60 Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Thought I'd ask, because shunt2011 (above) mentioned temps of 90-100 and was referring to Fahrenheit (which would be 32-38C). Just trying to avoid a misunderstanding, if there was one!

I'm not sure where you are located, and just wanted to clarify: were you referring to the lye solution being under 60 Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Thought I'd ask, because shunt2011 (above) mentioned temps of 90-100 and was referring to Fahrenheit (which would be 32-38C). Just trying to avoid a misunderstanding, if there was one!
I am living in indonesia. Weather is hot and humid (sometimes). I was just wondering if i dont heat the oils (all is already in liquid form when i bought from groceries) and just add the lye solution (below 60 celcius), is that ok? Or will problem arise with me not heating the oil beforehand..thanks!

For most general recipes, lye can be between room temperature (20C / 68F) and 49C / 120F.

Oil temperature mainly depends on what combination of oils you're using. Some oils have a higher melting point (like palm oil, or butters) so you may want to work a little bit hotter. If you're using a lot of liquid oils, you can work at a lower temperature. If your solid oils begin to re-solidify when you mix in the lye, that is called "false trace".

The highest your melted oils should be is around 49C / 120F. You can go lower than that, as long as your oil mixture remains clear (not cloudy).

If you're using sugars, milks, or beers in your soap, you should work at a lower temp.

If your base oils are already liquid, then you do not need to heat them. If, for instance, I was making a 100% olive oil soap I would not heat the olive oil, and would add the lye solution probably when it was between 37-49C (100-120F). That temperature range would be a personal preference, but you could certainly use a cooler lye solution or warmer lye solution, although I would not go above the 60C (140F) you mentioned in your first post.

The only reason I heat my base oils is because some of them are solid (beef tallow, coconut oil, shea butter, etc) and need to be melted and remain at temps over their melt point so they do not start to re-solidify and cause a "false trace."

Hope that helps!

ETA: toxikon and were typing at the same time!

60C = 140F. In my opinion that is too hot, unless you are using the heat of your lye water to melt your oils. If your oils are room temperature - around 80F or 26.6C - I think using the 60C lye water would probably be okay.

For most general recipes, lye can be between room temperature (20C / 68F) and 49C / 120F.

Oil temperature mainly depends on what combination of oils you're using. Some oils have a higher melting point (like palm oil, or butters) so you may want to work a little bit hotter. If you're using a lot of liquid oils, you can work at a lower temperature. If your solid oils begin to re-solidify when you mix in the lye, that is called "false trace".

The highest your melted oils should be is around 49C / 120F. You can go lower than that, as long as your oil mixture remains clear (not cloudy).

If you're using sugars, milks, or beers in your soap, you should work at a lower temp.
Means for solid oil, we have to heat it and it has to be below 49C before adding with lye while for liquid oil lower temperature is ok?
Thanks!!

Back