Substitute for Sandalwood?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BayBoy

Reaction score
Hello,

Due to the exorbitant cost of sandalwood, I have been substituting fragrance oil for essential oil. However, I thought there might be an alternative to sandalwood that I'm not aware of that is close to it. I'm looking for that sweet woody scent. I tried cedar, but I think it's too recognizably cedar and too common - like a cedar closet. Not a very romantic scent...

Anny thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Mille,

That's a great recommendation, thank you! Do you know specifically where I can get it at that price?

Due to the exorbitant cost of sandalwood, I have been substituting fragrance oil for essential oil.
While I agree with Amyris EO and Rosewood EO as viable subs for sandalwood, after going that route, I use sandalwood FO in EO blends that call for the EO. For one thing, IMO, the FO seems to anchor the scent and, secondly, it seems to help the scent last longer.

Here's a blend you might like:

ZANY'S FRASIER FIR BLEND
2 Cedarwood, VA
3 Sandalwood EO or FO (Sweetcakes has the best FO)
4 Fir Needle EO (or Siberian Fir EO)

If you try it, I would luv to hear comments... pro & con

Thanks, Zany. I'm actually pairing it with allspice EO and a steep of pimenta racimosa. The addition of sandalwood FO really rounds it out perfectly. Though I was hoping to use all organic ingredients. In which case I was hoping Amyris might come to the rescue.

I have tried to dupe sandalwood EO using other EOs and best blend I have made is Cedarwood + Amyris + Patchouli in a ratio of 5:3:2

My Rosewood dupe is Cedar + Palmarosa EOs

All Sandalwood FOs even the EO/FO blends smell fake and chemical-y to me, I have a super sensitive nose though and all FOs trigger migraines for me!

I have tried to dupe sandalwood EO using other EOs and best blend I have made is Cedarwood + Amyris + Patchouli in a ratio of 5:3:2

My Rosewood dupe is Cedar + Palmarosa EOs

All Sandalwood FOs even the EO/FO blends smell fake and chemical-y to me, I have a super sensitive nose though and all FOs trigger migraines for me!
Awesome! Thanks for that info. And does the fragrance stick in soap?

Back