sharing a "shampoo bar"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgawlik

Reaction score
So I have pretty normal hair, sometime a bit dry due to styling or coloring, but pretty normal in general. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones as I usually only "have" to wash it once a week sometimes twice during the summer ( and that depends how hot it's been. I was running low on my commercial shampoo. Been using organix brand, but finally checked the label and even it is chocked full of chemicals so I decided to give my homemade soap a go..

Keep in mind its only a week old and I have only tried a sliver end cut cause well I am impatient, but all the girls at work just raved about how great my hair looked last night. Two of whom are in "beauty school" I did also "condition with my usual commercial conditioner. Would love to find a way to make my own without all the chemicals but hey I can't win them all I suppose. So for those intrested here is the formula I used.

15% avocado oil
15% castor oil (I know its a bit high)
20% coconut oil
5% jojoba oil
35% lard
10% mango butter

I knew my fo and eo would not accelerate so I went 30% water
5% SF
About half water for lye and half GM emulsified into oils
For a little over 2# I used 35g of fresh cucumber (wsp) and 5g of spearmint
Did not use any colorants au natural
1 tsp of salt mixed with water before lye (I feel I could have used a bit more)
1TBLS of super concentrated simple syrup at trace (probably could have left this out with using as much coconut and castor as I did)

I had planned on adding a couple grams of tea tree but I forgot it.

This bar smells so fresh and clean and like I said all the girls raved how good my looked and I GOT THE NEW JOB! (doubt my hair had anything to do with it but one can dream right?)

Ok long winded post over hope someone gets some use of this, and if you don't use it as a shampoo it still makes for a great luxury soap

Looks good however I've found SF for shampoo soaps is around 8%. making shampoo bars is what drew me into soaping I love them

Sent from my D6503 using Soap Making mobile app

My favorite(thus far) shampoo bar recipe has 25% castor oil. High castor oil can keep the bars super soft for a long time, but once cured and hardened, it makes an awesome shampoo bar.

Back