Are there any known issues with Bergamont or Lemon oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeetree

Reaction score
These are essential oils.
And with regard to making a cold process soap.

Thank you

Bergamot is my favorite citrus EO! Bergamot is considered as a top note, but it holds pretty well in CP by itself. However, it's so pricey that I blend it with other EOs like sweet orange(other citrus EOs), lavender or/and ylang ylang.

Thanks guys. How many total oz of EO would you add to a 43oz batch of soap?

Also, when you say lemon doesn't hold well do you mean the scent fades, or does it actually cause issues like seizing to the soap?

Thanks guys. How many total oz of EO would you add to a 43oz batch of soap?

Also, when you say lemon doesn't hold well do you mean the scent fades, or does it actually cause issues like seizing to the soap?

Hey smeetree, :)

A few issues real quick:

• Be sure to get bergeptene free Bergamot EO
  • Citruses are photosensitizers so adding more EO to survive the cold process is not necessarily a good thing thus:
  • Switch your batch from CP to HP and by using the HP method you will need less.
  • However, citrus is still a photosensitizer and some people are allergic to it.
  • Lemon EO fades fast its true, but you can grate a few lemon rinds in your recipe to kick it up. Preserve the rinds with a little vitamin E (not too much since there is such thing as vit E overdose). And use a binder like kaolin clay to anchor your scent and you will be better off than just dumping in Lemon EO. <Kaolin mixed in oil, stirred, then EO in the emulsion works too>
  • The flashpoints of these two are relatively low so to prevent cookoff when mixing and saponifying, and to prevent slight seize, mix at a lower temp. preferably room temp.
Hope this helps you. I am sure there are differing views but this can be a good starting point. Good luck to you.:thumbup:

Last edited:
You can use litsea cubeba as an anchor for you citrus essential oils. I use from .5 oz to 1 oz of essential oils per pound of oils, depending on the essential oil.

I mixed the lemon with lavender (instead of bergamot) and it smells a bit odd. I'm hoping as the lemon fades it helps it out.

• Be sure to get bergeptene free Bergamot EO

Is this because of allergies?

I use the one from Now Foods. I think it has bergeptene in it.

I would let people know not to go in the sun for 2-3 hours after using bergamot. Especially children/todlers and never use it on infants.

Latest posts

Back