Leftovers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
I get a lot of 2oz bottles of fragrances to try out (slowly building my collection of larger bottles of scent though) and use about an ounce and a half in my batches of soap.

What do you guys do when you have a half ounce or less of a fragrance? Do you make little things of perfume (solid or in a roller ball bottle, doesn't matter) or just toss them or what? If you've got ideas I'd love to hear them. I've got a growing collection of little dribbles of FO that I need to use or chuck.

If I like them enough, I use them around the house: a few drops in my homemade cleaning spray, a few on the wool balls in the dryer, adding scent to my favorite fragrance-free lotion (I don't make my own). Sometimes I combine them to make a whole new scent. My grandmother would have put a little on a card and hid it in the underwear drawer to freshen her unmentionables.

If they're skin-safe scents (as opposed to some scents that are used only for candles) I put about 1/4 tsp in with the vinegar rinse in my fabric softener receptacle of my washer when I use my homemade powdered laundry soap. The scent stays better than when I scent the actual laundry soap, and I can switch it up whenever I want.

Liquid soap, fabric softener, lotion bars, sugar scrubs, wax tarts, shampoo, conditioner. (Or on a piece of paper towel under the front seat of my car.)

I get a lot of 2oz bottles of fragrances to try out (slowly building my collection of larger bottles of scent though) and use about an ounce and a half in my batches of soap.

What do you guys do when you have a half ounce or less of a fragrance? Do you make little things of perfume (solid or in a roller ball bottle, doesn't matter) or just toss them or what? If you've got ideas I'd love to hear them. I've got a growing collection of little dribbles of FO that I need to use or chuck.

I mix them to create a new blended scent, and make soap with that. I call these soaps "limited edition" because I will never reproduce that scent most likely.
I do keep copious notes though, just in case it turns out the scent is so fabulous I must recreate it. (That's only happened to me 3-4 times though)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE mixing scents, and I think I only have like 5 scents that are original OOB scents that I use. The rest are all blends of some sort...

You can make lotion or whipped butter, which uses a very small amount of fragrance. You can also take a few bottles that you think might be good together and combine them into one batch.

You could also tweak your recipe quantity to use 2 oz of fragrance. I have saved in Soapee the same recipe, but in quantities that use 1 oz of FO (at .7 oz PPO), that fit in my crockpot for HP, that fit 2 TS molds, that fit 1, 2 and 4 logs in one of my other molds.

Why would you throw away FO?!?! That's CRAZY TALK.

I combine those that seem like they would be nice together too. Or I have a friend who makes M&P soap - she can easily use them in a couple of bars.

Depending on the leftover amount and scent I either dab a bit on some silk flowers around the house or make some pretty sachets as gifts. Sachets take a needle, thread and fabric - old shirts, sheets, (jeans are my favorite) etc. I use cheesecloth for stuffing, but anything will do and maybe a little lace trim. You might also pair a sachet with the same scented soap a gift or add-on freebie if you sell your soap.

Latest posts

Back